Sherief

MFA connector plug query

Hi all,

Could someone help?

Have not had any function on my MFA since having the alarm fitted.

Just got round to investigating why and turns out there is nothing plugged into the connector leading from the stalk.

Cannot for the life of me find where the plug is...I'm wondering if the alarm fitters have inadvertently chopped it, but can't even see any evidence of snipped wires.

Has anyone got a pic or something that shows where the wiring with plug emanates from? Or any other advice?

Cheers

Hello there, try disconnecting your battery and then reconnect it just to see if it works then.

The wiring to the MFA will be in the steering column area going to the right stork (wiper stork)

check you have power at fuse 16 and fuse 21 fuse 18 might be linked in to the circuit somewhere as well (but I think it's fuse 21)

The muti function MFA button the wire to that I think is brown / white

If you unclip the fuse box and pull it out on the back of it there are around 30 connecter plugs,

the plug for the MFA should be the green plug it has I think 4 wires in to it.

If you are able to turn the fuse box around a little so you are able to see the back of it,

there are two levels of plugs the top level and the lower lever,

you want the lower level on the right, look at the third plug from the right on the lower level (the green 4 pin plug)

I think it is the only 4 pin plug on the back of the fuse box anyway.

Out of the MFA switch button the four wires should be (1= BLUE) (1= WHITE) (1= BLACK is the memory) and (1= RED is the rest)

and then I think they may change colour.

(from BLUE to BROWN / WHITE) (from WHITE to RED / WHITE) (from BLACK to BLUE / YELLOW) (from RED to YELLOW / RED)

On the back of the instrument cluster the wires to the MFA Digital display are (brown / white) and (white)

check you have power and earth or if you have nothing, check you have continuity through the wiring.

If every thing looks ok and you have power and earth then it could be a diff MFA / printed circuit unit.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 3:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 3:02 AM ----------

I think the above is for the Corrado 1992 onwards as these had the MK3 Golf style storks and the MFA,

and the 1989 to 1991 / 92 had the MK2 Golf style storks and the earlier type I think MFA or was the MFI

Si

Hi Si,

Thanks for the reply.

I had located the connector from the stalk that's mounted on the steering column, but that's what there is nothing plugged into i.e I can't see/find the plug that is supposed to go into that.

I have unhooked the fuse box but can't spin it round to have a look, but from touch there's a gap and nothing plugged into the location you suggested....maybe why I cant find the plug that should go into the stalk connector?!

I'm guessing there should be some part of the harness that links the display/fuse box/stalk??

I'm at a bit of a loss.....Any further suggestions welcome:shrug:

For reference, it's a '93 vr.

Thanks again

---------- Post added at 1:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:25 PM ----------

Hi Si,

Thanks for the reply.

I had located the connector from the stalk that's mounted on the steering column, but that's what there is nothing plugged into i.e I can't see/find the plug that is supposed to go into that.

I have unhooked the fuse box but can't spin it round to have a look, but from touch there's a gap and nothing plugged into the location you suggested....maybe why I cant find the plug that should go into the stalk connector?!

I'm guessing there should be some part of the harness that links the display/fuse box/stalk??

I'm at a bit of a loss.....Any further suggestions welcome:shrug:

For reference, it's a '93 vr.

Thanks again

I might be able to give you some photo's as I'm doing some work on my car today.

Give me an hour or two and I'll post them up here for you.

Si

Right I've got some photo's for you mate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73624[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73628[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73632[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73633[/ATTACH]

Sorry mate I was looking at the Bentley manual late last knight,

and got the green 4 pin location wrong,

it's not on the bottom right but on the top level on the back of the fuse box top left,

(top left of fuse box, but if looking from the front it's top right.

Look just under the main thick red battery power lead to the fuse box,

third green 4 pin plug from left.

Look at the photo's there are just 4 wires that go in to this green 4 pin plug.

Also where the 4 wires come out from the MFA stork the wires are covered in a black insulation,

and go to the black female connector plug,

where they change colour when they pass in to the brown male connector plug,

from this brown plug attached under the steering column,

the 4 wires go along the thick wiring loom from the two steering column storks,

and go to the back of the fuse box, to this green 4 pin plug, as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Si

Right I'm getting back to doing my car repairs.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks very much for the photos. They look like they may well be very useful and certainly give me a better idea of what I should be looking for.

Will have another dig around tomorrow and see what I can find.

What would we do with our spare time if we didn't own corrados?? :thumbleft:

Thanks again

Si, Just to let you know, I found the plug and got the MFA working.

For some unknown reason, the alarm fitters saw fit to unplug the brown plug and bundle the wiring up in their insulation tape harness, leaving the plug tucked away amongst the nest of remaining wires.

I love the work ethic of some would be professionals!!

Thanks for the photos, they were invaluable in helping me sort the problem.

No worries mate , any time.

Glad to hear you got it sorted and it's working again.