G_Dub

A little help needed...shredded hex on top of suspension strut

I was holding hex bit steady whilst undoing the nut on the top mount but it's now shredded and rounded off. See pic if that doesn't make sense. Now the whole thing just turns. Any suggestions? I don't have an air compressor so I can't just whizz it off. I'm a bit stuck.[ATTACH=CONFIG]73634[/ATTACH]

You sure you had the right size Hex? some are 6 and some are 7mm

What i'd do first is soak it in PlusGas then hammer a spline into it and maybe try to turn this while holding the nut where it is.

Other options are to drive to a garage / tyre place and use a gun or maybe buy a 12V one - it may still just turn though.

You sure you had the right size Hex? some are 6 and some are 7mm

Yeah it was definitely the right size, 7mm.

maybe buy a 12V one - it may still just turn though.

I think I might try buying an electric impact wrench...would love an air compressor but really can't afford a decent one at the moment.

Thanks

Plenty of Plus Gas on the nut and a pair of mole grips or a pipe wrench on the strut underneath.

As others have said, definitely worth a try with hammering a spline into it after soaking with plus gas. I can recommend buying an electic impact wrench though but NOT a 12v one. I tried a 12v one and it was useless (perhaps I was just unlucky), but I now have a mains Clarke one (this one) and it's been very, very useful - especially on strut top nuts!

Hope you manage to get it sorted in the end without too much trouble.

Lol. That's the exact Clarke mains impact wrench I've just ordered! Also bought some plusgas! I'd never heard of the stuff so I just had to have some.

Thanks for all the advice.

Just a normal impact driver will work fine (one that you use a hammer on) - you can get one in Halfords if you're in a pinch