blueboxer

Just bought a VR6

Hi, Just bought a 1 owner 1994 VR6. Running a bit rough but hopefully new HT leads, coil pack and plugs will sort out. It's only done 80k and has spent it's life in the Channel Islands.

Had 3 Corrado before - 2 x G60 & a VR6 . Got rid of my last one in 1993 as needed a big car (Land Rover Discovery - so the performance come down was a shock!) and hoping I'm going to enjoy ownership again.

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to ownership! Hope you spend many a happy mile in your new VR. Any pics of it?

Sounds a good find, gotta love those Channel Islands cars-invariably low mileage. Have you tried giving it an Italian Tune-Up?!..welcome, get some photos up

I'll get some pics up tomorrow once I've given it a good clean. It needs a decent run not the 40mph limit of Jersey but that will have to wait until I visit the UK. You can find some gems in the Channel Islands as nobody puts big mileage on their cars here.

Not cleaned yet but here are some pics.

First job today was to try and work out why the sunroof didn't work.

Found it had been disconnected so connected it up and hey presto it worked. Trouble is it wouldn't then close. I stripped the switch out and wound shut manually. The switch looked ok but gave it a quick clean and plugged it back in and now the sunroof works. I need to put some grease in the rails as it looks a little dry but hopefully it will carry on working.

Next job is the blower as it only works on the highest setting. Ht leads, etc should arrive tomorrow so hopefully it will start running smoother.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73660[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73661[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73662[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73663[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73664[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73665[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73666[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73667[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73668[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73669[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73671[/ATTACH]

Sunroof not fixed. It was closed and when I locked the car with the key, it decided to open itself!! Then of course, it wouldn't close so had to crank it shut manually.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? thanks

Blower motor just needs a new resistor pack (hopefully can get one from a breaker)

Regarding the sunroof.. it sounds as though someone has attempted to 'repair' the sunroof motor on yours at some point. It seems that the motor has got some sort of intelligence in it, and it remembers what position it is / was in.. We attempted to repair the sunroof motor on my car last year, stripped it down, cleaned it, put it back together but found upon reassembly when I locked the car it would open the sunroof a fraction - we must have moved the mechanism a little when it was apart. Again I just sourced one from someone breaking one on here (approx 20 quid), made sure my sunroof was dead in the 'neutral / locked' position and fitted the new one - and it works perfectly again.

Thanks for the replies.

New HT leads did the trick and the car is now running very nicely.

Managed to get a new old stock sunroof motor on ebay so will fit that and see if it fixes the sunroof problem.

Not sure of the part I need for the heater blower problem that only works on 4. Is it the entire blower motor or something else I need. No breakers on Jersey so I'm looking at ordering new or ebay.

Also need the near side roof/tailgate trim piece that covers the tailgate hinge if anyone has got one that they can sell me. The only one on ebay is broken and he won't send to Jersey (which costs exactly the same to post as the mainland for small items with Royal Mail!)

Other things I've done include a new rear wheel bearing. The whining noise has now gone. I think the car rides a bit crashy at the rear over the bumps so will probably change the shocks/springs - any recommendations as to what to go for. Nothing too expensive.

It's also had a new battery, couple of tyres and a couple of new hoses so not much else to do now.

Not sure of the part I need for the heater blower problem that only works on 4. Is it the entire blower motor or something else I need.

Welcome to the fun house.

In the mean time you need to do this:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_thermal_fuse_repair.html

Suspension is a very personal thing on here, and has been discussed in length many many times. Personally I can't fault standard suspension for comfort and price. But your personal requirements will dictate more to which suspension will be appropriate.

Kudos for coming back to the fold as well

Hope you enjoy Corrado number 4.

All the best, James

Welcome to the fun house.

In the mean time you need to do this:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_thermal_fuse_repair.html

Suspension is a very personal thing on here, and has been discussed in length many many times. Personally I can't fault standard suspension for comfort and price. But your personal requirements will dictate more to which suspension will be appropriate.

Kudos for coming back to the fold as well

Hope you enjoy Corrado number 4.

All the best, James

Thanks, hopefully that will help me sort the fan problem.

I just want the car to ride as I remember it with the standard set up, nothing fancy.

The Corrado certainly left an impression with me and there aren't many other cars I owned 20+ years ago that I'd be happy to own today

Just spent the last 10 mins fixing the sunroof. New old stock motor worked a treat - 30 quid on ebay.

thanks, will do. That's an ex Jersey car in your avatar isn't it?

yea thats right, do you know it? my friend rick brought it and had it sent over to guernsey, the same night the radiator blew on him :( but he got it sorted out ,

yea thats right, do you know it? my friend rick brought it and had it sent over to guernsey, the same night the radiator blew on him :( but he got it sorted out ,

I read about it a while back. Looked like a good buy. He's still got it then?

yea it was a good buy , had its faults like the rest but the previous owner messed him around and didnt send the log book so he had problems getting it into his name, he took it home {uk} with him last year and sold it off very cheap as it had no paper work,

Still tinkering and just had a look at the fusebox. There is a connector hanging down in front of the relays. Anyone know what it is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74052[/ATTACH]

I've also just run VAGCOM and just the one error code came up - Intake Manifold Temp Sensor G72. Found the sensor and it looks pretty old so will replace. It's about the only part I've not found on ebay so far so maybe it's called something other than an intake manifold temp sensor?