captainredeye

hot weather mpg

Noticed that the Mpg on the vr shoots up in the hot weather any one else find this? What surprises me is that I can get just 25 to the gallon just 2 weeks ago and today got a healthy 34 quite a differnce.

My guess would be down to cold air holds more O2 than hot air. Which means in cold weather the engine needs to pump in more fuel to get the correct fuel air mix compared to a hot day where it doesn't need as much.

My 2p

Surely that only holds true at idle though? Above idle speeds you'll have the throttle less open to achieve the same power output in cold weather?

Is that on a cold start for each journey ie MFA 1 as I would of thought it more likely that the engine physically warms up quicker and so the cold (thirstier) map is in use for less time?

Noticed the same on my 8v...morning 10 mile commute has gone from 30mpg (over Winter when it was cold) to about 34mpg. The return journey at about 4.30 when its warmer gets as high as 39mpg

Yep mainly cold start I do mainly short journeys but have found when doing long journeys in winter and resetting the maf I struggle to get to over 30 mpg.