christopher corrado

Fuel PUMP PROBLEMS ON 16v

Hi I have a 1990 G reg16v corrado and have been experiencing engine cut out after about 15 mins of driving. I have noticed that the fuel pump under the rear axel begins to whine just before the engine cuts out, could this be a fault with that pump, a blockage, or the other one in the fuel tanks gone causing this one to become over worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks Chris.

Edited by christopher corrado

I'd check the lift pump tank strainer and you main pump and accumulator, does sound more like the lift pump than anything, how much fuel is in the tank?

Ok thanks for Tue reply. Do you know how to access the lift pump. There's about half a tank of fuel in Tue car currently.

I'd check the lift pump tank strainer and you main pump and accumulator, does sound more like the lift pump than anything, how much fuel is in the tank?

remove the boot carpet, undo the screws holding down the black floor access panel and then struggle to turn the fuel tank cap, I ended up having to hammer mine around, bit difficult as it's a plastic cap, need to be careful not to damage it too much.

Ok thanks a lot for the info. I'll have a go at changing it over.

remove the boot carpet, undo the screws holding down the black floor access panel and then struggle to turn the fuel tank cap, I ended up having to hammer mine around, bit difficult as it's a plastic cap, need to be careful not to damage it too much.