Mark261288

Clutch issues.

Hi. here goes.

I bought a corrado that required some tlc. The Crank seal was leaking into the bell housing even though the original clutch wasn't slipping it was dripping oil. I replaced the crank seal and fitted a new clutch kit including a new slave cylinder. Ive re bled the system but now the clutch is slipping like mad in pretty much every gear. Im not sure why as the old clutch wasn't slipping and the new kit is brand new. Any ideas why a brand new clutch kit would slip. It all feels ok and the pedal side.

Any one had the same issues?

Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark,

I'm sure you haven't mate but have you put the clutch pressure plate on back to front,

normally if you do it will make one heck of a noise but on some vehicles it can course the slipping issue that you have.

Where does the clutch pedal start to get the bite from the clutch,

is it low down or is it when the pedals high when it gets the bite on yours now.

It could also be a faulty clutch I've had that before but it is rare.

What make is the new clutch you fitted ?

What condition was your flywheel in ??

Si

My flywheel wasn't too bad. Maybe a little glazed but nothing that would cause the amount of slip im getting. I was pretty tired and rushed when i was putting it all back together, i really hope i didnt put the clutch plate in the wrong way around because im not in the mood to start stripping it all down again.

The bite is pretty much in the middle id say and it feels normal. Maybe a little light if anything.. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the spanners back out..

how long have you driven it for? just around the block? maybe it just needs a good run to wear it in? oily greasy hand prints all over the flywheel?

Hello Mark, Yeah the clutch bite should really be low down and then after a few miles of driving it should be a little higher.

A new clutch fitted should have a lowish pedal bite,

and a worn clutch will normally have a high pedal bite.

Mark I would jack your car up on to axle stands and check the drive shafts,

just in case it is something silly like a drive shaft spining with in it's joint.

You can go for a drive round the block to see if it clears up, but if it's on the axle stands you could test it on them so to speak.

Mark it might be a good idea to check the operation of the clutch slave cylinder,

I know you said you've replaced it, but it's to check that it is moving fully and that it's not sticking, you know leaving pressure on the clutch arm.

But to be honest Mark I hate to say it, sorry mate but I think you may have to drop the gearbox out again,

it does sound like the pressure plate isn't being compressed enough by the clutch assembly.

It could be oil / grease contamination but it would have to be a lot to course the clutch to slip all the time,

as a little oil would soon get burnt off the pressure plate or flywheel.

But just before you do take your gearbox out again just check the drive shafts and the slave cylinder,

just in case it is something silly and easy to correct.

Hope this helps.

Si