daveg23

ABS problems an ongoing saga..

Sorry in advance for the length of this post but this is driving me nuts.

I have had my 2.0 16v for about a year and a half, at first the ABS warning light came on and went off depending on its mood. After about 6 months it came on at the start of a drive and stayed on. At its MOT last year the mechanic claimed it was a dirty rear wheel sensor, all seemed fine after the MOT until I realised he had just unplugged the warning light..

Next I took it for a service at a more reputable place, they pulled the codes and it came up as 01276 - abs hydraulic pump

16-00 - signal outside specifications, they suggested it was the ABS pump, but we left it that until this year's MOT.

When leaving I noticed the rear spoiler was up and on the drive I found it wasn't working, so I changed the fuse (no 16; 15a) which also covers the abs warning light, since then the ABS warning light shows at start up, goes off, then goes on again as soon as I hit 2nd gear when there is a clunking sound. When i get fast enough for the spoiler to activate, the fuse blows.

So before the service the abs warning light could stay on for long drives, the spoiler functioned fine, and the fuse didn't blow. After the service and the codes had been pulled the fuse blows every time the spoiler goes up!

Any ideas as to why the change?

Before today's MOT I did some research on here and following various advice looked at and cleaned the ABS relay's, fuses and various connectors from the pump to the ABS ECU etc, all seem fine (to my newbie eye's). I even had a second hand ABS pump I bought on here ready to go in the boot.

So I get the call and they said the ABS problem might have been down to dirty electrical connectors at the ABS pump and dirty front wheel sensors, all now cleaned and the car road checked, the ABS light didnt come on. While I know that the front sensors would produce a different error code, we put it down to electrical gremlins.

Of course on the way home I notice that the spoiler isn't working, I change the fuse and the ABS light comes on!

Any ideas as to what's going on? Next step is to put in the ABS pump but I half think that this is not a problem that is going away.

Also if I put a 20a fuse in for the warning light/spoiler that seems to work and doesn't blow. Not sure if that means anything, all references point to this fuse being 15a.

I think the spoiler blowing its fuse is another problem, but to rule it out for sure. Would be to disconnect it from the electrical connector at the rear.

Fit a good 15A fuse and take it for a drive, to see if its still blowing the fuse.

If the fuse doesn't blow at all, might be time to regrease the rear spoiler mechanism.

Good advice above... i'd disconnect it for a bit and see what happens, might be worth driving around with vagcom, clearing codes and reading them when the warning light comes on.

Assume the batterys good and the the brake fluid has been properly bled recently? I'd try and get hold of another ABS ECU if you can as yours maybe water damaged.