Hinesy

Hinesy's Sherry VR

Hi all, been on the forum a while now and already found it a really good source for information. Thought I'd start a thread mainly to keep track of what I've done and also maybe to share my experience's to hopefully help out others that may have the same issues as me.

So I've had my 1995 Sherry Pearl VR6 for about 6 weeks now and I love it. A lot better than my old Golf VR I had before, turns a lot of heads and had some great comments from people in the street.

So here's the car,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74247[/ATTACH]

It's not without its faults, but overall it's not a bad example. It's covered 122,000 has full history, a file full of bills and receipts and nearly every MOT from new. Was glad to see from the receipts it's recently had a heater matrix replaced, recon abs ecu (whatever that is) along with new abs sensors and a new radiator.

So all in all I'm very happy with it, my progress will be a bit slow as I work away during the week and have to spend some time with the family etc but I'll just plod on with it and do bits as and when I can.

So my first job was to sort out the drivers door handle as I couldn't open the door from the outside and it was rather embarrassing climbing in through the passenger door all the time. This forum came to the rescue for the first time and I ordered these from Dave16v.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74248[/ATTACH]

I only got a pic of the passenger one as I got a bit carried away fitting and forgot to take pics. Great bit of kit and easy to fit once you realise the drivers side handle bolt is left hand thread. Haha. I didn't really need the passenger one but thought I'd change it anyway for piece of mind.

Welcome mate, lovely looking car. Don't see many of that shade. Appears nice and original in the photo, except you have the wiper upgrade. Have you joined the CCGB?

So as some of you may had read my next problem came in the form of my gearbox mount letting go. After some research I decided to go for a full set of VT mounts and placed a order. To cut a long story short the sale fell through due to a stock delay and after I got my refund a decided not to bother with the VT's due to reading about vibration been transferred into the cabin. So a quick phone call later had me a full set of genuine mounts ordered from VW. Picked up the gearbox one today but will have to wait till mon/tues for the others. Cracked on and fitted the gearbox one so I could drive it again as its been off the road 2 weeks and I was having withdrawl symptoms.

Can anyone spot the problem with the old one??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74254[/ATTACH]

Welcome mate, lovely looking car. Don't see many of that shade. Appears nice and original in the photo, except you have the wiper upgrade. Have you joined the CCGB?

Thanks, it is completely original, well I thought it was until you mentioned the wipers. What's the deal with those?? I've always thought they didn't look right but couldn't put my finger on why.

And yes I have joined CCGB, member number 3996 :thumbleft:

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

So even though I've had the car 6 weeks, today was the first day I've had to really look into the car to see what needs doing. So far I've noticed the coil pack is cracked, I have a slight water leak from the radiator elbow and I have two oil leaks, one from the rocker cover and one from the sump. They can't be that bad though as its been parked in my car port for 2 weeks and there's nothing on the floor. Also noticed the power steering fluid was low so will need to look into where that's gone. The only other thing I noticed was the rear inner arch's where they join the sill feels a bit "spongy" so will get that looked into as part of the respray I'm planning over winter.

Edited by Hinesy

If you want to sell those wiper arms and blades, ill take them off your hands.

They look to be lupo wipers that people upgrade as the standard wipers are not that good as high speeds.

Nice looking car.

Just been out and had a look at the wipers and they are indeed lupo ones. Good job you guys noticed, the blades are past there best and would've just gone out and bought corrado ones, then spent hours wondering why they didn't fit.

There's a few basic upgrades that those wanting even a stock car can't avoid. Door strikers, Lupo/ TT wipers and headlight loom are usually the first things to get changed.

You won't be short of knowledge to tap into on here. Welcome along.

There's a few basic upgrades that those wanting even a stock car can't avoid

Your right there. I want to keep the car as original as possible but don't mind changing subtle things that improve the car. What car do the door strikers come from? My drivers door is difficult to close, needs a really good slam to get it to shut properly.

You'll find that because Corrados are that well sealed, they do need a good slam to close. Good to see another stock car getting some love.

First MOT in my ownership done and dusted. Straight through with no advisories and clean emissions. Well chuffed. Going to have a good day on it tomorrow and fit some of the parts that have been collecting in my spare room.

Bit of a disheartening day today. Decided to go out and fit the new heater controls and centre console I bought a few weeks ago. Got it all stripped down and had a check of all the associated heater parts to try and find the cause of the failure of the old controls. Found the hot/cold part to working fine but the other two cables for the directional control are completely bent. I removed the two cables then tried to operate the arms by hand. The control on the passenger side of the heater box is completely jammed solid, I was hoping it might had jumped a few teeth but after abit of adjustment it seems it is stuck fast. The control on the drivers side/rear of the heater is worse, the control moves ok but the mounting point for the cable clip has been broken off so the cable is just flapping on the breeze. So it looks like I will need a full new heater box. :( Also noticed it's now leaking water into the footwells and the abs light is intermittently coming on. Seems these cars give with one hand and take away with the other. Lol. It's got to the point now where it needs that many little jobs doing I'm considering finding a workshop so I can take it off the road for a few months and get it all sorted. I'm limited at the moment as I only have a small brick built carport which is impossible to work in. If anyone from the hull area knows of anywhere suitable or wants to possibly share a place maybe, let me know.

Cheers