VR6 Lee

Rear carrier removal (VR6)

10.9 and 12.9 do come in zinc coated that look stainless. I think this is more to do with where the bolts are and what the thread is exposed to than the head. As said, heat + plusgas and that will help a lot.

Most cap head bolts are rated 12.9 grade

You will struggle to get a 12.9 grade with zinc plating on as the process to add the coating alters the strength rating by a small amount.

Where as 10.9 bolts are available in zinc plated but these are normaly hex heads

Guys - you can't change the carrier bolts to stainless - NOT strong enough for brakes or suspension!!

New bolts should be used every time you swap discs - it's lazy garages and people just ordering discs from factors that cause the problem here, I've only ever needed to use the Irwins on one car to undo these, usually good socket and a sharp blow with a hammer cracks them undone after a soak in plusGas.

What sort of torque should they be ? Should you use thread lock or even copper slip on the thread if they are a bugger to remove.

What sort of torque should they be ? Should you use thread lock or even copper slip on the thread if they are a bugger to remove.

65Nm (dry)

Bolts now off.. Phew.

No Irwin bolt removers just a hand from my father.

Took discs off and noticed that there were no abs rings present... What the hell:banghead:

Bolts now off.. Phew.

No Irwin bolt removers just a hand from my father.

Took discs off and noticed that there were no abs rings present... What the hell:banghead:

What!>?! Not present at all??

I can't see how things like this can happen nowadays with ABS test being part of the MOT

Who changed the discs last? any history?

What!>?! Not present at all??

I can't see how things like this can happen nowadays with ABS test being part of the MOT

Who changed the discs last? any history?

The abs went on and off on start up and used to come on after 8 minutes of driving, which is weird as you would expect it to come on as soon as the car moved off