b9085

Parasitic Drain (Radio drawing current when off)

I have been having a few problems recently with my battery / starting the car, so have had a new battery and starter motor. This was a couple of weeks ago and I am still having issues with the battery discharging.

I'm trying to decide whether the battery is a dud or whether it's a problem somewhere else...

So this weekend, I used a multimeter in series to test how much power is drawn when everything is off. I found that fuse 22 (the radio) was drawing 0.31 amps, which I think I am correct in thinking is 310mA? (tested using the 10A setting on multimeter).:bonk:

It's an aftermarket headunit (Pioneer deh68), I'm assuming it's drawing far too much - just wanted some second opinions??

How quickly does the battery drain?

Do you have an uprated headlight loom? This was my issue... The ballast resistor hadn't been disconnected when it was fitted causing the battery to go flat in 2-3 days of not being used.

How quickly does the battery drain?

Do you have an uprated headlight loom? This was my issue... The ballast resistor hadn't been disconnected when it was fitted causing the battery to go flat in 2-3 days of not being used.

Hard to say really, it has only gone completely flat once, which was probably over the weekend (2-3 days). But it's just some mornings the starter is really struggling.

No I have a the standard loom still. Also when I ran the test with the multimeter, the only circuit drawing any real current was the radio.

---------- Post added at 9:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:08 AM ----------

Does your radio switch itself off when you take the key out.

No it doesn't, but I turn it off and take off the face plate. So I assumed it would be off?

I have had the stereo for 5 or 6 years and I have never noticed a problem before - I thought maybe something had gone wrong in the radio making it draw current when off?

I'm trying to work out what would be a reasonable amount of current for the radio to draw when off? I have checked the manual and there is a heading 'backup current: 25mA' - which I am guessing is what it should be?

So if I am reading the multimeter correct, it's drawing 10 times as much as it should?

Edited by b9085

Are you running an Ipod off the head unit?

You might be having a similar problem that I had when I fitted my Alpine head unit, where the head unit would not switch off when the key was out. The ipod was on continues charge even with the face off.

My problem was due to not having a switched positive on the radio wiring, which turned out to be faulty ignition switch.

Disconnect the plug from back of the radio, and see if you still have drain on the battery.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Also have a look at previous thread about the switched positive issue.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?80372-Switched-positive/page1

Are you running an Ipod off the head unit?

You might be having a similar problem that I had when I fitted my Alpine head unit, where the head unit would not switch off when the key was out. The ipod was on continues charge even with the face off.

My problem was due to not having a switched positive on the radio wiring, which turned out to be faulty ignition switch.

Disconnect the plug from back of the radio, and see if you still have drain on the battery.

I don't have an Ipod connected, but like I say it has always been fine (I think) just the last few months there seems to be a problem.

Disconnecting my radio is the next job - just need to find the keys to pull it out!

I've just had look through the other thread and found that the cigarette lighter is on the same circuit - which has always been dodgy so that'll be next! Thanks