Ollie1988

Electrical Issue with Sunroof & Spoiler

Afternoon,

I have had a search for this but I cant find anything quite matching the problem I'm facing.

I have a 94 VR6, the spoiler wasn't working when I bought it. I got it to work as there seemed to be a loose connection to the motor in the boot so I know the motor etc is working and the connection is okay now.

The issue I have is when I press the button for the spoiler to go up or down it wont go all the way, if I hold the button down it'l move for a second, pause for a moment, then continue to move and so on until it is fully up or down.

The sunroof, again works, but a similar problem, I press the button and it'l start moving back, but then stops. I then have to keep pressing the button for the sunroof to continue to move in either direction.

I have some paperwork which suggests that there may have been a control unit replaced for these two? is it the same control module for both of these? anyone else experienced the same issue?

Regards,

Ollie.

Different control modules. The sunroof is controlled by the motor unit inside the roof-mounted switch/interior light cover.

The sunroof symptoms you have are very common indeed, almost always with the slide function as opposed to tilt. The cure is usually to dismantle the sunroof and clean/lubricate the runners and the mechanism, and sometimes to replace parts. It is fairly straightforward but time consuming (at least it is the first time you do it!!)

The spoiler is about the same story really; dismantle, clean, lubricate, re-assemble. Does it go fully up and down when the speed sensor tells it to?

Best wishes

RB

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply, I don't know if the spoiler goes up/down at 45mph as I am unable to drive the car at the moment but i'll see if I can look in to that.

I'm under the impression that its more of an electrical problem as the operation of both the sunroof and the spoiler seem smooth when they are moving (not slow/jerky in any way), sometimes they move more than others, perhaps something to do with the circuit that they are on as they use I know they use the same fuse?

Regards,

Ollie.

---------- Post added at 3:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:09 PM ----------

th_IMG_0271.jpg

This is what the spoiler is doing, this is with the button held down constantly.

The spoiler problem is probably due to a faulty thermal overload in the motor which interrupts power to the unit. There is a thread regarding this with more info.

the sunroof will most likely be a tired motor.

The spoiler problem is probably due to a faulty thermal overload in the motor which interrupts power to the unit. There is a thread regarding this with more info.

the sunroof will most likely be a tired motor.

Ahh brilliant I found some threads on this it looks exactly like whats wrong to me, i'll definitely give that a go. Do you think the sunroof could be the same story rather than a knackered motor? I went out there first thing this morning when it was cold and both the roof and the spoiler seemed to work better than they did yesterday in the hot sunshine.

The sunroof will most probably be a tired motor. You can usually get used replacements on ebay, the mk3 golf ones are the same but check which type you have as there were 2 different ones.

Hi again, update for this thread, the thermal trip in the spoiler motor was the problem, so this is all resolved now. Happy days!

Sunroof however I am not having as much success with, I have removed the whole unit, greased everything that I could, and have also replaced the motor with another unit I found on ebay. still got the same problem: it begins to work, then it will stop and I have to keep pressing the button to get it to slowly inch the rest of the way in either direction, but initially sometimes it will go back all the way, sometimes not... tilt is 100% fine though. any more suggestions about what I can do with this sunroof as im honestly a bit baffled by this now?