GreenMachine

Insurance in Ireland

Hi,

Iv been ringing around and so far no luck in finding an insurance company that will touch me. I have a UK registered C and want to take it to Rep of Ireland. The problem is that I dont know how long I will be there (but more than the 90 days thats usually covered in Europe). The other issue is that I will be undertaking paid employment whilst there, which appears to be another issue. I have also spoken to an Irish insurance provider and they will not touch a UK registered car in Ireland. I do not want to re-register the car on Irish plates as I wont be there for more than 6 months, and it costs a small fortune.

Any advice? Or will the C have to stay in the UK

If your working in Ireland for more than a month your supposed to VRT your car. Customs can seize it if you don't.

Will your wages be in a uk or Irish bank?

since you'll have a uk driving license they may let you off.

My insurance company were fine insuring my audi on English plates, until I paid the VRT and got irish plates.

You should try axa (€175 for classic insurance):

http://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/classic-car/

I'll get the name of another company for you tomorrow who offer unlimited mileage on classic car policy.

\Paddy

I think its standard that a Rep Ireland insurer will cover the car for 21 days until the car has been re-registered on Irish plates. I Don't want to pay the VRT as I will be returning to the UK within 6 months. Its looking like Ill have to leave the C at home