Sign in to follow this  
Monoboy

Stupid wheel questions

My stock VR6's Speedlines are looking a bit shabby, I'm not happy with the standard rubber's performance, and I've noticed some very smart looking Corrados about rolling on 16"s wheels of various varieties. So methinks it's time to replace the ol castors with some new ones.

To my eyes 15"s are too small, 17"s too 'max power', but 16"s are just right. However, I've never really 'modded' a car and haven't a clue what to look for in wheels. I don't want to touch the suspension just yet, but in the future I may opt to alter the handling with coilovers (and consequently lower by 30 or 40mm or so - but certainly not 'slamming' it). I'm also keen not to upset the effective gearing (and hence speedo calibration and accelerative perfromance) by changing the overall tyre diameter drastically.

This might be a bit 'how long is a piece of string', but what figures am I looking for in a wheel and tyre? What fits and what doesn't? Is it normal to go for a lower profile tyre when increasing the diameter of the wheel?

Also, what rubber do people recommend? I'm not particularly happy with the Goodyears on mine, they break traction more easily than other, more powerful cars I've experienced that are similarly front-wheel driven and on 205mm-wide rubber. I've heard good things about Michelin.

Finally, wheels. I'd like to stick to something in the same vein as the standard speedlines, i.e. 5-point stars or similar. Borbet Cs look cool, any other recommendations?

Thanks,

-Dave

Check out these 2 threads:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... =tyre+size

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... =tyre+size

Not sure on how common 16" wheels are but compared with 15" or 17" definately less so. Therefore tyre price might be a bit more, so take that into consideration.

As for Borbet Cs - they don't make them anymore boo hoo :mad:

OZ Saturns are very similar to Borbet Cs and were available in 16" to fit corrado although I've yet to see any fitted to one... 8)

16" tyre prices are almost exactly half way between 15 and 17 inch tyres funnily enough! ;) and they are available at all good stockists! :D

I'm running 7.5x16 BorbetC alloys with a 30 offset (with 10mm spacers at the front to clear the Brembos) with 205 45 16 Yokohama A539s all around.... LOADSA grip, and look good too... 8)