stuarttaylor37

Dubpower VR6 exhausts

Hi

looking to replace the exhaust on my VR6 and was thinking of buying a Dubpower stainless

Has anyone had one fitted and able to comment on fit, appearance and noise levels please?

Cheers

Stuart

From dub power:

I did a test and concluded that my initial proposal won’t work using an abrasive cutting disc – I probably need a diamond blade to do a good job.

What time scale are you working to , do you need a replacement because your existing is worn out or because you are just trying to go back to OE look?

We will need to find an old OE exhaust to use as a template unless a few of us get together and just us an eyeball consensus about what is optimal.

Perhaps you would send me your phone number and I’ll give you a call next week to kick some more thoughts about a bit.

Thanks,

Peter

I'm going run with this, and will start a thread shortly ;)

Chatted briefly to Vince at Stealth about my plans: "Don't bother with the six-branch"

"Already got it, it's a Dubpower one..."

"Oh, those are fine, but the eBay specials all crack if you miss a spot with the heatwrap"

Closest to an endorsement you're likely to get, I reckon ;)

Waiting for payday to get it ceramic coated but it looks a lot more solid than the eBay ones - nice thick tube and rock-solid welds, plus the right number of holes in the flange at the bottom! Fingers crossed anyway :)

Stone

Keep us posted, my own is nearing its end so looking for a replacement, who will be doing the Ceramic coating for you?

plummer

have full system on my mk3 and another forum member has it on his mk2, all fitted togther nicely, hanging points where in the right places etc. No reason to think why they wouldnt last a good number of years.

Waiting for payday to get it ceramic coated but it looks a lot more solid than the eBay ones - nice thick tube and rock-solid welds, plus the right number of holes in the flange at the bottom! Fingers crossed anyway :)

Stone

Why? For the expense its not really going to do much. From the reading Ive done on an NA engine a 6 branch makes next to no difference.

I like the sound of the standard looking tailpipe design system though.

Keep us posted, my own is nearing its end so looking for a replacement, who will be doing the Ceramic coating for you?

Local engineering firm - they mostly do repairs to production machinery (metal-spray / chrome parts to oversize, then machine down to spec) and rechroming motorbike forks, but they do a sideline in plasma-sprayed coatings, everything from road cars to jet engines! They're called AM Philpot Hard Chrome link.

Got the manifold back today and it looks awesome!

exhaust-coated1.jpg

The coating has a rough texture, like 80-grit sandpaper. It's also very abrasive. Will have to keep it away from the polished bits :)

exhaust-coated2.jpg

Why? For the expense its not really going to do much. From the reading Ive done on an NA engine a 6 branch makes next to no difference.

I like the sound of the standard looking tailpipe design system though.

Two reasons:

1) The standard exhaust is pig-ugly! I have enough rust on the bodywork, I don't like it in my engine bay as well. Heatwrap looks horrible and is hard to do right; leaving a six-branch bare will melt all my engine plastics so coating it looked like the answer.

2) I don't yet know if I want to supercharge it in future, and since I'm getting the head replaced soon it made sense to do it all at once.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I'm not modifying it by committee :)

Stone