mr.ots

Work in progress...completed so far.

I've owned my Corrado for 8 years now and as I've been completing a few jobs in anticipation of at least some summer this year, I thought it was time I posted a members gallery thread. I'm sure there will be more work to come.

I bought some Solitudes off ebay earlier in the year for £200 but they came recently refurbished and as it would have cost me around £50 per wheel to get my originals done, this seemed like a good option giving me a spare set of wheels for the same money.

20130622_125906.jpg20130622_125938.jpg

My original tyres were low on tread and the ones on the new wheels were even lower so I had 4 new Hankook Ventus V12 Evos fitted for just under £75 a corner. I don't know how they handle yet but they seem to have had a lot of good reviews so I'm hopeful they will be good.

20130622_124911.jpg

Spent some time yesterday cleaning the interior and giving the leather a good clean which has come up pretty nice.

20130622_160714.jpg20130622_160741.jpg20130622_165041.jpg

MOT done in April and had an advisory for corrosion to rear brake pipes so I've replaced them in Kunifer (doesn't corrode like steel and doens't work harden like copper). I decided I may as well replace all the pipes from the ABS pump to all four corners (only advised on rears). If I have to do any future work on the master cylinder I will replace the final two lines from the cylinder to the ABS pump but to be honest they look in good condtion.

20130531_163310.jpg

Just waiting for the sun to come out now so I can cover a few miles.

20130622_165203.jpg

Edited by mr.ots

Started my cooling system overhaul today. Jobs for completion were a new water pump, thermostat, crack pipe, expansion tank, system flush and a refill with G13/dionised water mix.

[ATTACH]74930[/ATTACH]

The crack pipe eventually came out after a lot of effort, there was quite a bit of surface rust around the opening to the block and the pipe started to disintergrate once it finally came out. After a good clean up the new one went back in.

[ATTACH]74931[/ATTACH]

The water pump was also welded into the block and once out it was evident that some of the plastic fins on the impellor had snaped off. After a bit if fishing around in the block I managed to remove all of the detached pieces. My car is on 115000 miles and was still running the original pump so if yours is on similar mileage and your pump hasn't been changed then it might be worth changing it as a precaution. There was some play in the bearing but the seals were holding up with no leaks.

[ATTACH]74932[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74933[/ATTACH]

Cleaned up the mating surface on the block and refitted the new pump.

[ATTACH]74934[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74935[/ATTACH]

The one thing I did forget was to get a new gasket that goes between the thermostat housing and the block. So the rest of the work is on hold until I get one.

Does anyone know if the gasket a VW only part or can I get it elsewhere or online?

My car is mystic blue LC5L, which does look different colours depending on the lighting.