coullstar

Running with no back box

I was going to be removing the standard exhaust soon and to this requires cutting the rear box off. That got me to thinking has anyone ever run thier car without the back box on but with the suitcase section still there?

I believe the noise level will not increase as much as you would first think. I may do this and make a straight pipe section, that way if I wanted to put the rear standard box back on its a very simple sleeve and clamp.

That leads to another question about exhaust exists, do they have to exit at the car body?

Your right in thinking its not mega loud when cruising , full chat is a bit different , at the moment im running a de cat and suitcase delete and its not to loud until you give it some , iv got an old back box i was gonna mess around with so its just a straight through pipe from the manifold , the only thing i was worried about is loosing any back pressure as im not sure if removing stuff just free's up flow or makes it worse , my catalystic convertor takes about 20 mins to swap on the drive with the help of some heavily greased bolts that connect to the mani and a stainless sleeve clamp

Ill try get some vids up when im off holiday , as forwhere the exhaust exits im not sure it matters , was you thinking side exit ??

I dont drive mine everyday so all that full chat noise and pops and bangs makes it a laught to drive

You have the opposite to what Im thinking of doing. I want to keep CAT, front section and suitcase section and remove just the back box. The suitcase does a lot of the silencing I think so when you remove it it will be loud as you have found.

It was just soemthing I thought about this moring and remembered a back box splittling at the axle section on a Mk2 and it not being as loud as I thought it would be. Asthetically it would need a pipe to exit out the back IMO.

I see what you mean , id probably just get a few stainless bends to make up a piece of straight through pipe to replace the back box , i rekon it would sound good as long as you kept the exit pipe two and a quarter inch and not like a bean can

I thought the same with where it exits tbh , if its ever going to be side exit you would need to plastic weld the hole in the back bumper , it would look odd with just a hole and no exhaust

If you do it sling a vid up so we can see what it sounds like with just a cat and suitcase box and no rear silencer