vonslack

Smoking G60

Iv'e been having some issues with my 91 G60 started off being very lumpy on tick over this was fixed with a new set of vacum hoses, ( although it does seem to still go up or down by 200 rpm at tick over). Felt like it was going to cut out before though because it was so bad. Garage told me it needed a new fuel filter & some injector cleaner before the car could be tuned up. So I took it away & did this also replaced the dizzy cap, rotor arm & knock sensor, (cable was rotted). Took the car back to the garage for tune up, emissions found to be lean 0.21% reset to 1.15% blue temprature sensor found to be faulty so replaced & reset co2. Fuel pressure also tested 2.6 bar at tick over worn at uper limit but ok. The car now seems to be running very rich MPG and performance are down so I stared investigating I found the coil was on the way out so I have replaced it checked the micro switches on the throtle both work vacum hoses have not poped off. I have tryed to check the lambda probe also but seem to be getting an eratic reading between 0.3-0.6V, it should be a steady 0-0.9V pulse? Will test again with a more reliable test meter next week. The probe on mine fell apart! Tryed reseting the ecu by disconecting the battery and touching the wires together. Had a look at the spark plugs which are sooty. Car seemed to run better for a day or two after I cleaned plugs fidled with the lambda probe plug and topped up the oil. But back to being smokey again now, any Ideas? Want to get it fixed so I can go enjoy the sun!:cool: The car Has a rebuilt supercharger de-catpipe with jetex system K & N panel filter. Normaly leaks a little oil but dosn't burn it.

Welcome to the forum,

Look at replacing the ECU relay and also check the lambda wiring near the rear engine mount - try unplugging it and see if it runs better...

Engine earths around the gearbox / battery area are also a good place to check

1m ECU hose from TB to ecu,did you replace it with correct length?its very important! Is your ecu chipped? Touching terminals together on the g60 does nothing,g60 doesnt have an apdative ecu.

Lambda sensor doesnt have great effect on the car,it only goes into closed loop on idle.even then it can only control the fuelling +-10%. 0.3-0.6 volt is a good reading as it puts the a/f near stroic.0-1 volt pulse means switching is slow and sensor is getting old. but the switching of a lambda sensor is too fast for a normal multimeter to read properly.

As supercharged said check earth strap on gearbox or cylinder head.Green wire is important wire from the ecu to the coil as this triggers the coil to discharge

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried disconecting the lambda probe the other day with the engine at opperating temprature & didn't seem to make any difference parked up blipping the throtle. Should I try driving the car with the lambda probe disconected to see if the smoking stops? ECU is standard. I checked the ECU hose today, ( that the garage had fitted), & found it had an extra 7cm on it! So I trimmed that back. I have now checked the earth strap on the gearbox & that is in good order with a low resistance. Earth to the plug for the lambda probe/plug isnt so good So i'm going to give that a good clean up next weekend. I have added an earth strap between the bolt for the coil bracket & the cylinder head. Cleaned up the connection on the green wire on the coil it was filthy where the old coil had been melting/leaking over it, will check the continuity & resistance to the ECU next weekend.