Langsam

Yes another central locking issue

Ive searched through the thread for answers to my fault but not found anything.

So here I go- Noticed a few nights ago, when I put the key into the drivers side lock to lock my C I could here the pump working to lock the system as I removed the key, I could still hear the pump goin. Once I had walked away from the car, the pump was still goin, so I went back unlocked it to stop the pump working then re-locked and the pump worked as normal.

Now since that fateful night my central locking has stopped working.

Whats the score?

By the way my corrado is a 90 1.8 16v

Ive been looking the past few days for a answer on this site and others. But I still cant seem to find this holy fuse that is suppose to be on top of the fuse/relay box.

Ogh and I cant seem to unlock the passenger side door with my key either, even though when the door is unlocked from the inside the handle operates as normal.

sounds like the vac unit in the boot has given up the ghost, there are a couple of types with different connectors IIRC, to rule it out see if you can temporarily hook someone elses up to your loom, easy enough to remove the unit, one strap holds it in place under the offside wheel arch carpet.

When you uncover the vacuum unit disconnect the hose and have a bit of a suck and blow. If the actuators in the doors are working OK you should see the doors lock and unlock. Operate the central locking with the key and you should hear the pump working and be able to feel the pump sucking when you place your finger over the outlet on the pump.

The fuse is right on top of the fusebox above the relays and about centrally positioned. It's a wee bugger to find initially, kneeling outside the car and peering up with a torch helps. If I remember correctly it also covers the electric windows.

I've checked the pump in the boot and cleaned all the connectors aswell. But still no joy.

I've had a good look and still can't find this fuse that people talk about. My windows operate fine aswell. Could one of the door lock operators be faulty and not allow the system to operate?

Right I've just tried another pump and the central locking system is still not working. I can't even hear the pump priming or anything.

have you checked the wiring in the doors, i bought my corrado with no central locking working, easy fix was redoing the wiring in the door that goes to the handle switches, more specifically the section that comes from where you plug the handle loom into. It splits into two and on mine - in both doors - those connections had corroded and crumbled away. Stripped some wires back remade the connections, taped it all up and hey presto c/l working!

Right this has been rattling my brain for some time now. I removed the solenoid from the drivers door and found some dodgey wiring to the solenoid harness, repaired that then found the plug on solenoid itself was corroded. Cleaned the corrosion off the plug and still no joy. My boot has decided to lock on me aswell, so I can't fill my car up at the petrol station now.

mines doing something similar, you can open the petrol cap manually, in between the pump and the rear light there's a white vacuum actuator just push the rod down and you'll be in,

I already know how to release the fuel flap. It's just more aggro as I've gotta go through my boot now to do it.

Borarob- what's the best way to get at these connections you talk about?

you need to take the door cards off, easy to do, just a few screws on the sides and a couple behind the handle. if your inner plastic membrane is still intact you need to peel it back from the lock side forward. You will see a loom clipped to the metal of the door, has three wires going to it. one end of this loom goes up to the exterior door handle, the other end is where the problem lies. if you trace it back you will quickly come to the point where vw decided to bodge it and splice wires. peel back the covering so you can see the wires. When i did this the wires just turned to green dust! Strip it all back to good metal and then reconnect and give it a very thorough going over with insulation tape.

this worked for me, as i said it was both doors that needed the treatment. tbh now i read this again i doubt this is your issue but certainly worth checking.

Ahright, I have sorted an issue just like that on both doors. The pervious owner had bodged some of the wiring so I corrected it. Could there be a fault with the exterior door handle wiring?

could be but didnt you say the CL doesn't work from either door? if thats the case i'd have thought its unlikely both handle switches are duff.

when i fitted new door handles i was paranoid about the wiring fouling on the mechanism when you use the handle as that wire to the handle does look like it could be pulled out easily.

have you got an alarm with remote locking, have you checked the connections that link from it into the CL wiring? after some fiddling with some wires near the fuse box one day I think found that I couldn't operate the CL from the drivers door, passenger still worked. Turned out to be a dodgy splice by alarm fitter...

I never really checked to see if the CL worked on the passenger door, when it was working.

Ive not got any alarm fitted to it as of yet.