AlexDUB

The immortal VR6 cooling issue

Hello everybody!

I have searched for the last 2 days on the internet about a problem like mine, but no chance, and hope to find a solution to that here.

Problem: If i leave the car idle, it gets to 95 degrees when the first stage goes ON, and then OFF after about 20 sec, and continues this cycle of ON and OFF till the water temp stabilizes at around 102 celsius. The water circuit pressure gets high (about 2.5 bar). The second fan stage isn't going, but due to water temp rising, the THIRD stage starts eventually which is making the fan belt to squeak horrible at startup.

That's the first thing i do not understand. If the water doesn't reach the thermoswitch closing point why are the fans shutting off in the first stage? Are there so big temp differences between the rad and the thermostat flange where the other temp sensors are?

On the highway instead, even in high climate temperatures, the water temp is around 80 at all driving speeds.

Checked:

-fan relay module - OK

-thermoswitch- new OEM part OK (bought another one thinking it is faulty, but boiled it and everything is ok)

- radiator - brand new OK

- thermostat - OEM new OK

- wirings - OK

- new hoses and aluminum billet crackpipe

- fans - OK

- water pump, electric pump new and OEM - OK

- no gases in the cooling liquid, so no head gasket or cylinder head.

I even got the fan module relay on the table with 12 volts hooked to it and simulated all the conditions on the car, and worked perfect!

Both fan stages run if i bridge the thermoswitch wires.

This is driving me nuts, because i only drive the car on long journeys and have to avoid sitting idle.

When the temp is going high and the hoses pressurize over the limit, i avoid giving it a boot, because something would snap (hose, rad, heater, flange…)

It is very frustrating… I have a brand new engine built 2 years ago and not solved this issue… Not to mention that the high temps are not making any good to the engine.

Regards!