Jamie

VDO gauge panel - pic request

Hi Jamie, how's things, took your advice on getting shot of the tarnish off my VDO gauge panel using toothpaste - worked a treat, as good as new, all I need to do now is fit it and wire it all up, I've gone as far as removing the fisher cassette box, but I'm I right in saying I've got to remove more of the dash say the ash tray in order for it to fit?

Hmmm mine was a slightly *ahem* "bespoke" fitting as the tabs had been removed so I'm not sure what the correct way of doing it would be mate sorry. I had to remove the ashtray and the lighter ( I took the light feed from the lighter) for the wiring anyway so I would say yes you need to remove them. Good luck with it if you need any other advice give us a shout and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction :)

Cheers Jaime that's great, hopefully on Sunday if the mrs hasn't got any plans, i'll spend a couple of hours with it, what would I need altogether & where would be the best place to get all the bits I need to complete the fit? looking back at post#13 (the night picture of the unit) it looks backlit unit is that right?

I think if you're doing it properly there's clips you need to buy from the dealer, but like I said mines bodged. You'll also need the plug and wires which you can also buy from the dealer or if you have a scrappy near you it's the same plug as the MKIII Golf, B3 B4 Passat, Corrado sunroof motor plug. Then it's just a case of wiring it up. The best way is to run a wire straight to the battery for the live, maybe putting a relay in line if you don't want it on all the time. Alternatively run it off the glove box light which is what I done (it's not as accurate but does the job). It is backlit and looks great at night so get the lighting feed from the cigar lighter illumination, find a nice earth and then finally run a wire into the engine bay for the sender. I went through a grommet on the passenger side behind the parcel shelf below the glove box.

It's actually really easy but I'm not great at "how tos" as you can tell :lol: