tom_rob_89

really annoying starting problem please help if you can!

My car has this really annoying problem where when I go to start it fires strait up but then immediately cuts out but dosnt do it all the time. Like yesterday morning it did it and I tryed for ten minuits before having to ask my brother to help try and bump it and as soon as I let the clutch out it started a ran fine. When I finished work it started first turn of the key as it did this morning in about the same conditions and weather. After work today though it took five goes before starting and I stopped at the garage for two minuits and then took me about ten goes before it started. Im just worried because its so unpredictable and it annoys the hell out of me lol. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Tom.

My car has this really annoying problem where when I go to start it fires strait up but then immediately cuts out but dosnt do it all the time. Like yesterday morning it did it and I tryed for ten minuits before having to ask my brother to help try and bump it and as soon as I let the clutch out it started a ran fine. When I finished work it started first turn of the key as it did this morning in about the same conditions and weather. After work today though it took five goes before starting and I stopped at the garage for two minuits and then took me about ten goes before it started. Im just worried because its so unpredictable and it annoys the hell out of me lol. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Tom.

I had a similar issue with my MK1 Golf for starting, turns out my starter motor and alternator were no good, but had to put a bit of gas in it to start it. But my rado was ok to start and lost all pressure when I left it running with no gas.. When it's running, when you stop at a set of lights or something, how does it idle? Also what engine is in it??

First check for me would be fuel to the rail. That would rule out the fuel relay and/or pump ( and seeing as you bumped it, suggests that it isn't an immobiliser issue ).

Followed by ignition switch ? For £27 (genuine) it might be worth changing it either way.

Not saying this is a cure, but it rules out a couple of things first.

As above, is it 2E or ADY engine code ?

Edited by James.

First check for me would be fuel to the rail. That would rule out the fuel relay and/or pump ( and seeing as you bumped it, suggests that it isn't an immobiliser issue ).

Followed by ignition switch ? For £27 (genuine) it might be worth changing it either way.

Not saying this is a cure, but it rules out a couple of things first.

As above, is it 2E or ADY engine code ?

Yeah good shout on the fuel pump, I never replaced mine on the MK1 Golf hence having to add some gas into the starting procedure, could be helpful to get it swapped out for a new one :)

sounds like the old factory immobiliser prob to me. Remove driverundertray and find the black wire from the immob ring that sits on the ignition barrel. It plugs into a little black box that sits up in the dash near the spoiler switch. Unplug and spray with contact cleaner or wd. Plug,unplug,spray several times to clean the contacts. Refit undertray.

Thanks for your reply's it is a 2.0 8v ady engine and once it is started it runs fine and idles fine. It has already had an ignition switch due to a different issue lol but this problem started before I changed that. And thanks Cazza I will be trying that tommorow.

Forgot to mention that another known weak spot on this engine is the ignition coil.

But try Cazzas tweak first as it's the cheapest !