borarob

9a starter motor question

hey guys, i'm going to buy a new starter motor as mine is on its way out. i've found some on ebay, new items. i've found one which does not list corrado 9a but does list passat 9a, the same seller has one that list corrado 9a but not passat 9a. is there really a difference? the reason i ask is that the passat 9a one is £20 cheaper?

cheers

Most of the 4 cylinder starters are interchangeable, as long as they come from a car with the 02a cable change box, around 1992 they changed a connector on the solenoid which means the early loom won't plug straight into a late starter. Slightly different ratings on the starters is the only other difference, biggest on the diesels, but that's only because the compression varies from engine to engine with beefier starters for the highest compression engines, I have a passat 8v one on a Corrado 16v, works fine.

Most of the 4 cylinder starters are interchangeable, as long as they come from a car with the 02a cable change box, around 1992 they changed a connector on the solenoid which means the early loom won't plug straight into a late starter. Slightly different ratings on the starters is the only other difference, biggest on the diesels, but that's only because the compression varies from engine to engine with beefier starters for the highest compression engines, I have a passat 8v one on a Corrado 16v, works fine.

Funny you should mention the connection to the solenoid. The one listed for my car shows this later connection, yet the one on my car at the moment matches the passat one which I guess is the earlier type connection. So in summary do you I'll be ok getting the passat 9a one and saving myself £20?

Thanks as always!

Difficult to be sure as the 9a came out in the passat before the corrado, generally a 9a engine would have the later connections though

This later connection, is it essentially still just a spade connector? As that is now all I have on my ignition wire so will I still be able to fit it on to this later type.

So confused, I just want to know my car will start every time without having to do the Corrado tango with it each time to free off the bloody thing!

yeah, it's just the plug that changed, it's just not plug-and-play if you get the wrong one, and not everyone is happy chopping the plug off the end of their loom, a bare spade connector isn't advsiable as it gets a fair amount of salt spray there through the winter

I think I have spares of both at home, will try to get a pic of them side by side for you

Edited by davidwort

That's really useful cheers. First impression is that the one fitted to my car is the larger one. Now I know where to scrape to see the part number I'll try and confirm later.

Thanks again

Didn't have time to explain some of the details, but essentially the 8v petrol engines (1.8 in the passat) have the smallest starters, and the 2L 16v and diesel the biggest.

The solenoid (smaller cylindrical unit bolted on to the motor) is the part that varies the connection, but this seems to be nothing more than the single trigger wire and you could just connect your loom to either solenoid (and therfore starter) with a bit of connector bodging.

Unfortunately it's usually the solenoid that goes, they get weak with age, and usually all you need to do is put a new solenoid on, not sure if anywhere supples just the solenoid though, in theory you could just get that re-wound as it's nothing more than a simple electro-magnet.

Corrado starter versions, may not be every type that will fit though:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75307[/ATTACH]

passat versions (1993 ish) [ATTACH=CONFIG]75308[/ATTACH]

Edited by davidwort