vw bobby

Fuel Leak

Hi all,

I just want to find out is there a sealant I can use to glue my plastic box that holds my fuel pump in on my 1991 corrado 1.8 16v, as there is a slight leak from the join?

Here is a few pics of the fuel pump and box:

It is leaking from one of the joins in the plastic box, its not broken or anything either?

20130826_171315_zpsee47de65.jpg

20130826_1712502_zps272fa2f8.jpg

20130826_171250_zps2e7f984e.jpg

20130826_161556_zpsdeabfa9a.jpg

20130826_161540_zpse4165e0e.jpg

20130826_161532_zpsc6826ad9.jpg

The 2nd pic is where I think its leaking from?

Cheers

Bobby

don't have an answer I'm afraid, but my 1990 16v has only ever had the fuel filter here replaced (everything else is original) and I think I'll be investigating this over the weekend as I'm suspicious about a fuel leak here too.

It's getting more and more common to see these failing these days. I wonder if its down to increased ethanol content in fuels dissolving the plastic/bonding agent. I've heard loctite 9394 can be used, but I've never tried it myself.

Cheers for the advise mate, but when I took off the unit, I have noticed one of the plastic pipes on the unit and bent and that is what is causing the leak not the seal on the actual unit?

Thanks for the advise though and I agree with your comment, I also feel its the ethanol content in fuels, which is causing this problem.

You would not have a spare one for sale by any chance, would you?

Cheers

Bobby

Take a look at this but for short term fix only ?

The guy in the video says it's a long term fix.

Si

Thanks alot mate, that is a big help. Worst case scenario, can I use one of these off a mk2 golf gti 16v or 8v? or can I use one off a corrado g60 or VR6 or 2.0 16v?

K-jet 16v specific, so mk2 16v parts will be the same, or possibly from other K-jet cars like old fords or volvos. 2.0 16v 9A Corrado system runs different pressures though (KE jet) although the system is very similar in appearance,

edit: nope, I lied, checked the part numbers and the KR and 9A share the same in tank pump and external fuel pump but accumulators are different parts

Edited by davidwort

K-jet 16v specific, so mk2 16v parts will be the same, or possibly from other K-jet cars like old fords or volvos. 2.0 16v 9A Corrado system runs different pressures though (KE jet) although the system is very similar in appearance

Hi mate thanks alot for that info, that is a big help, so really I can only use the mk2 16v option, if I cannot find another corrado one?

the actual fuel pump and accumulator are shared on golfs and passats with the KR engine (9a has a different part no. for the accumulator, which must be where the system pressure differences are between k-jet and ke-jet), but unfortunately the fuel pump casing although the same on 1.8's and 2.0 16v's is corrado specific (part no. 535 201 043), I'm not sure why though, as the passat and golf with the KR/9A engine are basically the same, perhaps a mounting point is slightly different or something?