Tempest

Gaydon Classic Car Meet today

Went to a little Classic Car event at gaydon today, where the majority of cars present were admittedly from a brand that I unfortunately share no passion for (Morrises :lol:, Minors and Transporters galore - if we only could muster that many Cs in one location!), but what caught my eye, and the reason for going was the presence of the Crossfire club, Crossfires being regarded by Gaydon as a potential future classic. OK, thought I, get my Karmann, collect Jim, and show the Crossfire boys what other cars Karmann built.

Only C present, indeed only 2 VWs turned up, the other one a Beetle parked next to my C, we wandered off to the Crossfire section, to be greeted by a chap that didn´t want to know about the C or anything Karmann related (even though he was sporting the Karmann logo at the bottom of his car´s B-pillar - non-standard BTW, because on the Crossfire Karmann apparently weren´t allowed to put any of their own badges), behaved like a Merc-driver, and yes, the Crossfire is 80% a Merc (albeit the old model at the time of the Crossfire, where Merc itself used the new platform to base their own cars on), but it is still a Chrysler, and hence cheaper than a real Merc, so no need to be up-his-bottom, which he definitely was. Anyway, found a nicer chap later on, who although also never having been to his car´s birthplace was interested in stuff, and indeed the C :)

Also went for a little Landi-experience on the offroad-testrack at Gaydon, which ws impressive what all those modern-day electronic helpers can do when offroading. The driver did admit that these electronic gadgets are pretty much there fto help all those would-be offroaders, that buy a Landi, and as soon as they do dare go offroad, they get stuck, because they lack the skills to actually go off-roading, and that´s where all these electonic helpers can get stupid people like that out of the sh*t. None of that was needed in the old Lara Croft generation of Landis, of course :), but men were real men back then :) Still impressive how effortlessly this modern Landi mastered all the stuff that the driver chucked at it.

Pics:

gaydon1.jpg

gaydon2.jpg

gaydon3.jpg

gaydon4.jpg

gaydon5.jpg

gaydon6.jpg

gaydon7.jpg

gaydon8.jpg

gaydon9.jpg

gaydon10.jpg

gaydon11.jpg

gaydon12.jpg

Tempest

Was a good little day out - thanks for the lift, Eric! Enjoyed chatting to the more enthusiastic / interesting fellow with the Crossfire, and also the Land Rover experience - was staggered at how effortlessly it chewed that assault course up!

Some nice car's on display there (not the crossfire's They are Sh***). the marcos in pic7 looked good.

In fairness to the Crossfire, I didn't appreciate that the SRT6 version of it was an AMG supercharged 3.2 V6... putting out a fairly astonishing 350BHP and over 400NM of torque. I have to agree that the Crossfire isn't a great looker, but that engine would more than make up for that!

Stage 2 charger on a R32 and bye bye SRT6.I have drove a Crossfire and they are nothing like a Corrado very wishy-washy handling wise and a bit too much plastic.