shaunje

Corrado 16V KR Wont idle!!

Hi guys...

My Corrado 16V KR will not idle (it just cuts out unless you give it a bit of throttle) and it splutters a lot when it's started. If you use the accelerator a tiny bit it will run fine. After a while of driving the idle returns and it goes back to normal. I cant figure out what it is thats wrong, but I need to work it out pretty quick as when I pull up to a junction and the engine cuts out the brakes and steering become dreadful and i've had a few near misses!

vacuum leaks usually, check all the vac lines and the inlet rubber elbows for splits/leaks, is the breather from the engine to the airbox OK? it's generally an air metering problem that causes this (i.e. a problem after the metering head airflow plate in the inlet route) as the ignition and fuel delivery don't usually give a problem unless they've been messed with. Inspect everything carefully and check the idle circuit is being switched on by the microswitch on the throttle body.

vacuum leaks usually, check all the vac lines and the inlet rubber elbows for splits/leaks, is the breather from the engine to the airbox OK? it's generally an air metering problem that causes this (i.e. a problem after the metering head airflow plate in the inlet route) as the ignition and fuel delivery don't usually give a problem unless they've been messed with. Inspect everything carefully and check the idle circuit is being switched on by the microswitch on the throttle body.

cheers, i'll look at this today and see if anything improves :D

Check the wiring to the temp senders on the side of the head as well - this can be pretty brittle and can cause serious idle/running issues, especially when cold.

Check the wiring to the temp senders on the side of the head as well - this can be pretty brittle and can cause serious idle/running issues, especially when cold.

AH! Coolant temp did go through my mind... there is a fault with the water pump at the moment. Is this likely to be upsetting it?

I think it's the water pump anyway lol

Check the ISV - cylinder on bracket top right of engine (as you face the car). Turn the ignition on and it should buzz/hum. You could also try taking it off and cleaning it out - I sprayed some carb cleaner though mine and it made the idle much more stable.

Check the ISV - cylinder on bracket top right of engine (as you face the car). Turn the ignition on and it should buzz/hum. You could also try taking it off and cleaning it out - I sprayed some carb cleaner though mine and it made the idle much more stable.

Did this yesterday too, seems to be working fine.

I suffer from exactly the same problems with my VR6. It's getting serviced next week so I assume the garage will diagnose this and fix it for me although I will have a look at the vac lines and rubber hoses over the weekend.

Check the corrugated rubber elbow just before the throttle body. They tend to perish with age and you get cracks in it, usually underneath where you can't see them.

Shaunje,

I am a novice at the corrado and engine scene however.... Ive currently got a 1.8 16v KR Corrado, engines coming out for a conversion, but I had what seems to be a very similar issue to what you have. My issue was the idle adjust screw, it had fallen off, fortunatley is was in the bay still. Its a thin long screw that goes in a hole on the throttle body. When mine was missing i had very lumpy tick over and fine on the revs. When I put my finger over the hole it went back to idle perfect.

I posted a picture of the hole on a previous thread I created to find out what it was...

Think i need one of these.....idle air adjust screw for a 1.8 16v

search "idel adjust screw" in the forum and in that thread above look at the picture,

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=82201&highlight=idle+adjust+screw

Give me a shout if it is the screw!

best of luck buddy....

Edited by southerner88

A dodgy water pump wouldn't affect it that much when it's just been started I don't think.

Good shout on the idle screw - check the o ring hasn't perished - but make sure the hoses and vac lines are free from leaks! It's worth replacing the vac lines anyway for the amount it costs from VW (comes off a reel and you cut it accordingly)