almeidk

Do I have the correct Fluids for a 1994 Corrado with a MK4 VR6 engine?

Hey this is my second post and I'm loving this forum already.

I'm buying a 94 corrado with a mk4(1999-2004) vr6 that has been sitting for 2 years.

I want to change everything and do everything that will prevent any damage to the car when i turn it over.

As of right now I'm going to change all the fluids, fuel filter (1 or 2?), oil filter.

Then i will crank the motor over with the spark plug wires disconnected?(to lubricate bearings/seals)

Reconnect spark plug wires and turn car over normally.

If anyone agrees or disagrees your advice is appreciated.

I talked to the mechanic who did the engine swap/rebuild and he said they used 5w-40 full synthetic engine oil after the rebuild so I will use the same. also VW dealer said thats what they use ($8.50/quart)

VW told me that they use mineral oil in their power steering( 94 corrado vr6 and mk4 vr6) so am going to get it from the dealer ($30)

the gear oil for the transmission from the dealer($18/quart) didnt have a weight(eg 75w-90) on the bottle but my buddy works at a parts store and when i gave him the product number it came up both 75w-85/90 so i will just go to the dealer ...anyone know which is right 85 or 90? is there a gear oil filter?

Coolant is red from the dealer ($25) .. is it any better than a brand name coolant? Also the car has all silicone hoses and fittings and uses red coolant already. is that correct?

Brake fluid is DOT 4 and from the dealer its $10 /quart.

If anyone has anything that i should do before i start the car I appreciate any feedback,

just dont want to forget something small and end up doing alot of damage to my baby lol

thanks again

kevin

Edited by almeidk

hey guys sorry to bother you with another question but im trying to use the search forum function to look up threads.

if i search :change gear oil , literally a million threads pop up .

I wanna look up threads for changing all those fluids but dont have time to search all 504 pages of threads.

is there a easier way to search for stuff on this forum?

thanks

kevin

No, the search isn't the greatest, google might be better!

gear oil on the manual gearbox is easy, no filter, magnetic drain plug catches some stuff from the old oil, just drain from the 17mm plug underneath and fill (nearly 2 litres) from the front 17mm plug, redline mt90 is similar to the correct spec vw synthetic gear oil, or castrol smx-s, now called 'syntrax'? is another alternative (here in the uk) vw mineral gearbox oil will be good, the correct vw synthetic will be good too.

All vw petrol engines of this era prefer 10/40 engine oil, pay for fully synthetic if you want but a reasonable 10/40 semi synthetic regularly changed will do you well.

brake fluid is just your regular stuff and pas fluid is green hydraulic fluid (absolutely NOT ATF red fluid!), general stuff like Citroen LHM suspension hydraulic fluid or preferably vws own, febi-bilstein also make a similar vw fluid.

Fuel filter is the canister under the back rear of the car, easy to change.

Edited by davidwort

No, the search isn't the greatest, google might be better!

gear oil on the manual gearbox is easy, no filter, magnetic drain plug catches some stuff from the old oil, just drain from the 17mm plug underneath and fill (nearly 2 litres) from the front 17mm plug, redline mt90 is similar to the correct spec vw synthetic gear oil, or castrol smx-s, now called 'syntrax'? is another alternative (here in the uk) vw mineral gearbox oil will be good, the correct vw synthetic will be good too.

All vw petrol engines of this era prefer 10/40 engine oil, pay for fully synthetic if you want but a reasonable 10/40 semi synthetic regularly changed will do you well.

brake fluid is just your regular stuff and pas fluid is green hydraulic fluid (absolutely NOT ATF red fluid!), general stuff like Citroen LHM suspension hydraulic fluid or preferably vws own, febi-bilstein also make a similar vw fluid.

Fuel filter is the canister under the back rear of the car, easy to change.

Castrol gearbox oil is called syntrans transaxle now. Did mine a few weeks again. It,s the correct vw spec 505 or whatever it is. Takes about 1.5 litres for a manual box. good advice as usual David.

Edited by delfinis38