Rado89

G60 starter fail....

Morning,after waking up this morning and getting in my corrado to get to work. I turned the key but no starter :( I've checked all the fuses and tested the starter that still works. Obviously there's a problem With the loom or ignition. I was just wondering if there was anyone who could help me with this process? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil.

Have you ever changed the ignition switch on your car? It's a very well known weak spot on the Corrado and will basically result in you not being able to start the car in exactly the way you describe..

It lives directly behind the ignition switch / key and to get it out is a bit of a game as its held in by a single screw which is remarkably hard to reach. If you do a search there are various guides and discussions on the replacement process, tips on accessing it, etc.

I can hear the fuel pump prime when I first turn the key and again once the key has been turned again to start but on starter. Would that mean the ignition switch is working?

I'm trying to remember from when mine was broken.. pretty sure mine would prime too and them simply not start. Out of curiosity, try turning the key and then when in the actual car starting position try wiggling it around a bit and see if anything happens?

You can test it relatively quickly - buy a new switch and simply connect the wiring loom to the new switch rather than fitting it, then try turning the ignition switch and see if the car starts. A new one isn't serious money - 26 quid I think. Don't buy a preowned one or anything - buy a new genuine VAG one.

Alson check the cables going to the starter from the battery positive. Mine turned out to have green corrosion on it found that out having replaced ignition switch and starter motor. Start with the simple things first

one other thing, if the starter solenoid is weak, then bridging the terminals might be enough extra oomph to throw the starter gear out, but I'd do the switch anyway as Jim said.

If you've got a multimeter then see if the solenoid is getting 12v when cranked, this will tell you if it's the ignition switch for definite but I'd hazard a guess at it being that