vw bobby

Idle and cold start

Hi all,

As you guys are aware a new to the Corrado scene, and just wanted to find out when I start my car in the morning, it idles up and down for a few minutes, then settles down. Also once it has settled down the idle sits at about 1200 RPM?

Is this normal, or do I need to tune it?

If so how do I go about tuning this and sorting it out?

Oh yeah my car is a 1991 Corrado 1.8 16v KR engine

Cheers

Bobby

a high mileage 16v can be affected by all sorts of things, CO setting, idle air bleed screw and seal on throttle body, vacuum pipe and inlet boot leaks, ISV not operating correctly, injectors past their best, idle switch on throttle body not switching/broken wires, timing not set correctly, the list goes on.

Best get the basics all checked over first, e.g. inspecting the vac pipes and inlet boots, good plugs leads distributor cap and rotor, engine and ignition timing then work your way along to the more expensive end, e.g replacing thermotimeswitch and the injectors.

In my experience a 16v will only idle really smoothly on new injectors as they wear and perform badly at idle (particularly over 100K miles) even if they deliver fuel fine at wider throttle positions.