Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

My bog standard 1.8 16V needs sexing up - please help!

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a Corrado for not much wonga, but it thus obviously needs some lurvin. Unfortunately, I have no money! However, money can always be found somewhere!

I love my new C, but it doesnt look that cool, not compared to most of you guys'. Personally, I think it needs some new wheels and probably lowering, and im not too keen on the lights, but no point changing it all at once. Can you advise your opinions, including what wheels look best, and where i can get some cheapish. Also, what size wheels, and are there certain things I have to check for to make sure they fit etc. And, as if i'm not sounding stupid enough all ready, how do you lower it?! Sorry! I am a massive beginner!

Here's my sleeping beauty.......

Personally, as a fellow 16 valver, I'd say keep it fairly standard in the wheels /suspension department. Probably hold it's value better in the long term. Judging by the piccies she looks good to me as is.

If you want to instantly sex her up without too much expense how about a nice colour coded eyebrow spoiler?

I agree whole-heartedly with Kvwloon - car looks great - fine mint example of an Hplate valver. You say the car is in need of some love - that isnt apparent from the photos - are they any specific rough areas of it?

A stainless exhaust would look good though! :wink:

Also - IMHO 3slat grills look nicer - check out Dubster's gallery to compare the differences. Think they just look sharper with the newer style grill.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

I would get some lupo wipers as one of my first mods, Huge improvement and they look better too.

An eyebrow spoiler is cheap too as said above, could get the Reiger grille/eyebrow combine, two birds with one stone then and all that.

Wheels are a matter of personal choice, I would look at other peoples cars and see what ya like. Although fat BBS's always look good. Can get second hand wheels from ebay, local yellow paper, breakers yards, a mate of mine just bought some nice OZ Je design turbo's for next to nothing from a yard. although if wheels are knackerd have too take into account refurbishment costs. 15s to 17s are the norm with 16s being prefered as a good all rounder, I have 17s and wouldent want anythin smaller, but like i said its all personal choice.

Rear lights could be tinted red or black, although i would practice before tryin this, as you dont want it lookin cheap and naff, If you found some money you could buy some inpro or fk rear clusters, the fit is'nt great but with a little movein around soon bring the cars looks up to date.

Some ten pound clear side repeators get rid of the nasty orange on the wing.

Your car looks a very clean and nice example though :D

Also - IMHO 3slat grills look nicer - check out Dubster's gallery to compare the differences. Think they just look sharper with the newer style grill.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Yep, agreed, that as well, - later grille, Kamei copy eyebrow spoiler, job done!

looks clean, mods wise depends on how far you want to go.. lupo wipers are a good mod!!!

slam it & you won't regret it....

It is by no means a mint example. Those pictures were taken after I had just spent a few hours cleaning it. The alloys are a bit knackered - in need of a refurb. There seems to be some kind of plasticy covering on them which has come off in some areas - any ideas about this and what to do about it. The main problem is the right front wheel arch has some rust where it is badly designed and mud had collected under the sill, eventually causing it to rust.

In my opinion, it seems really high, and looks a bit pants from the side, probably because of the height and the dodgy, though original alloys.

And when you open up the bonnet!!! Well, let's just say i spent about 20 mins hoovering out the leaves! I think something had been living in there! It dont look pretty. I thought about a steam clean but dont wanna mess up the electrics.

However, the engine seems essentially sound, and it only has 84k, and it didnt cost much, and it does 35mpg on my trips to work(tho at a mind numbing 75 all the way). And anyway, who cares, cos its a C and i love it!

appreciate the originality of the car, but it is not a mint example, so i wont be messing it up.

If I could refurb the current alloys for no money, perhaps lower it a bit and give it a good service, that would be a start, no???

35mpg!! I cannot get 30mpg even at 65mph. Defo think my car is not running right. Its no better than my old Mk3 VR.

Looks clean though. A nice subtle lower plus small things like the side repeaters do make a difference. It sounds like the lacquer is peeling of the wheels. I dont like the Sebrings so try getting a set of G60 BBS if you want to keep the original look.

My wheels had a similar problem - when checking under the bonnet for leaves make sure there's none stuck in the top right hand side - there is a plastic cowling held on with 3 or 4 metal clips - check under here. I wouldn't worry too much about the rusting on the arch - especially if it's on the face. You can just rub it down, fill it and rust prime it. Then get your paint code and a can from VW (which comes with lacquer) then spray it and lacquer it. I did this and the match was incredible - took a wee bit of blending with Tcut but looked fine until about 10cm away. The face of the arch is on a different light plane than the body of it so even if the match isnt spot on it still shouldnt stand out a mile.

Check out this link for some wheel ideas:-

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

That top right hand side area was made for collecting leaves. It was like Narnia up there.

With regard paint. Given that someone who previously owned it seems to have been colourblind (using near black on green pearl), i wasnt too bothered about getting the VW paint. I simply took it down halfords, parked it in the carpark and got 3 of the nearest ones and tried them out on a bit of tape on the car. Perfect match was some Vauxhall jobby.

I need to know if i can take the plastic laquer coating off the wheels and what to do it with - i.e., not a wire brush i presume. And presumably i need to replace it, since otherwise it wouldnt have been there??!!

Ive got a set of 17" bk299's that look really cool on corrado's, due to a very very very lucky bargain i recently got some new bbs rims for no money at all, so, I will let my ols wheels go for next to nothing! pm me and we will talk money if your interested!!

1)Refurb the wheels on it.

2)change the vw badges for Black ones

3)Headlight mod

4)Lupo wiper mod

5)A full Service ,cambelt etc.

oh and check for rust as it has a Scottish registration

We topped up our one in Elgin with unleaded and ran back from there with wife,2kids and loaded to the norks with half of asdas beer etc and No pinking :-P

37.8 mpg and we wernt driving miss daisy :wink:

if i were you mate.....treat it to a nice paint-job(preferably original VW colour),get the wheels refurbed,lower it just a tad and you'll have one tidy looking Corrado.......anyone who disagree's with me.....obviously aint seen 2CC's valver 8) looked like it was just bought new yesterday 8) 8) 8) 8)