Banks88

Cold start issues & oil breather on 9A

Hiya guy's. I've got a 1994 2.0 16v in mint condition however......Having real cold start issues at the moment and its frustrating the hell out of me!!! bassically when the engine is cold it doesnt start at first and sounds like theres no compression (after compression testing it, found cylinders 1&2 loosing compression but then regaining it again!) However it does start to pick up and begins to fire. Eventually it runs on its own but very rough 2-3 cylinders max. However in the time it takes me to get it running on its own the oil pressure builds up that much it blows the seal around the oil filter and 4ltrs of brand new oil run down my street!! Weve been fault finding. I.e new ht leads, new rotor arm.and dizzy,new plugs, about 20ltrs of oil and 3 oil filters,coolant has been flushed and cleaned. Fuel system has been pressure tested and all ok and its co2 has also been set up correctly. Weird thing is when the engine warms up it runs on all 4 cylinders and it runs sweet as a nut with no problems at all!!! it just wont start when the engine is cold. could this be down to a blocked oil breather which is generating too much oil pressure and having effect on compression? and could someone please tell me how I could find it? Really appreciate feedback as am getting frustrated with it now! Lol o yeah forgot its also had a new coolent temp switch and the 5th injector/cold start valve is also working fine too!!!

Cheers

Edited by Banks88

sounds like (compression) piston ring sealing problems, perhaps a bit of oil pumped around is enough to help them seal after running for a bit