Faisal Hamed

Surface rust on bottom of front panel

Anyone know the best way to tidy this up.

It's not bad all just looks a bit untidy and I want to tidy it up before it gets worse.

It's the bit the radiator sits on and the bottom of the front panel...

Get rid of all the surface rust with sandpaper or similar then wack some KRUST (small bottle available at halfords) on it then paint it with hammerite

Or even a wire brush will do just to get the surface rust off, make sure you give it a good clean after wire brushing so youve got a good clean surface for the KRUST application

Make sure it's bone dry, heat the panels with a hair dryer or fan heater (not hot air gun!) as moisture in the metal will rust through straight away otherwise.

There's a product called JENOLITE, it is (was) used by the ministery of defence, I used it for years while I ran a aircooled VW restoration bussiness.

The best advice I can give is

Sand (not wire brush on a drill, as that just polishes the rust) the area, removing as much rust as you can, then soak the area in the liquid form of Jenolite, allow to dry completely (could be a day or 7 depending on the temperature and thickness of rust which has soaked up the liquid,

Once it is dry paint it WITHOUT sanding the area, If the area is not smooth enough for you liking, apply filler or high build primer to the area then sand, be care not to break through the hardened top coat of the Jenolite,

Do this and you'll be fine,

I Know this, as cars I restored in the 90's are still winning shows and featuring on the front cover of Volksworld (my own 66 Bahama blue Beetle) magazine nearly 20 years after I painted them

There's a product called JENOLITE, it is (was) used by the ministery of defence, I used it for years while I ran a aircooled VW restoration bussiness.

The best advice I can give is

Sand (not wire brush on a drill, as that just polishes the rust) the area, removing as much rust as you can, then soak the area in the liquid form of Jenolite, allow to dry completely (could be a day or 7 depending on the temperature and thickness of rust which has soaked up the liquid,

Once it is dry paint it WITHOUT sanding the area, If the area is not smooth enough for you liking, apply filler or high build primer to the area then sand, be care not to break through the hardened top coat of the Jenolite,

Do this and you'll be fine,

I Know this, as cars I restored in the 90's are still winning shows and featuring on the front cover of Volksworld (my own 66 Bahama blue Beetle) magazine nearly 20 years after I painted them

Thanks so much for that tip, got something to do on Boxing Day lol

Jenolite changed (for the worse!) a few years ago... Like JC, my Dad always had great results, but the modern stuff's just not the same. We've started using Bilt Hamber's products instead, which seem to do what Jenolite used to do. A lot of the classic car guys rate the POR 15 stuff too (I've never tried it)

I'm also a fan of Corroless "rust stabilising primer" ... That really works too. (though I use a twist knot brush 1st to get rid of heavy rusting)