Sign in to follow this  
Will

calliper re-washering...

I'm in the process of re-washering my rear callipers, was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

The new seals are in fine, as are the dust boots. The problem is i can't seem to work out how to get the piston back into the bore. Bentley shows a press but as usuall isn't particularly well explained. I've tried this but no luck as there seems to be a thread. Is there a special technique or something.....

Any advice would be really appreciated.

On my 16v which i believe would be the same as yours, the pistons are on a thread and have to be screwed in. I think there must be some special tool to be had from somewhere (maybe vw?). Instead of that i made up something from a bit of steel approx 150 x 25 x 5mm (could probably use any other scrap bit of metal). I put 1 self tapping screw right near the end and another a little further in so that they would slot in the grooves on the piston. The screws will probably need to be trimmed to size so that they dont protude too far the otherside - about 4-5mm.

Once youve done this you can use it like a spanner and 'slowly' screw the piston back in (clockwise). Hope you understand what im getting at but it worked for me :wink:

There is a brakecaliperpistonwindbacktool. I bought mine from Halfords years ago. £20 ish. Make sure you get the right adapter with it. There are a few differnt ones available.

Gavin

Think not pushing any pressure on was where I was going wrong, otherwise it just keeps turning and turning. Managed to make a tool out of a piece of steel so thanks a lot for your help!