ExR32

Induction Kit for G60

Hi all,

When I bought my 91 G60 back in August, the last owner said that an Induction Kit, K&N for example was bad for the engine, is this true?

Just wanted one!

Thanks

The K&N kits aren't necessarily bad, unless they aren't oiled properly. Foam induction kits should not be used under any circumstance (the foam can break away and send small piece through the charger). Also with a K&N cone filter there is the issue of warm air being drawn in from the engine bay if the shield is not in place properly. To be honest the best air filter for a g60 (even a tuned one) is the standard paper one, in conjunction with an airbox where the lower half has been drilled and the snorkel removed. Mines pushing just over 250bhp on a standard air filter and drilled and desnorkeled box. The main reason people use the K&Ns if for the noise they make.

Thanks JMC

Am I better off just getting a K&N panel filter then? Not sure what you mean on drilling and the desnorkeled box, could you please explain how to do this if you have time?

Thanks bud

people have posted up tests that the standard paper filters work the best..as in filter out more rubbish which should be your number 1 concern

desnorkle...theres a pipe shoved in the front of the airbox that restricts it some , you can remove it for more airflow and noise , you can also drill the bottom of the airbox for more flow /noise

Edited by steveo29

If you pop open the airbox you'll see a black plastic pipe which can just be taken out - thats the snorkel. As for drilling, it is simply drilling a number of holes (about 1 inch diameter) in the bottom half of the box on the side away from the engine. You can also take a cold air feed from low down behind the bumper and lead it up through the hole just to the front the airbox. I've done this in mine (as in my build thread on page 8);

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=20906&page=8&highlight=nitrous

I always advise sticking with paper filter too, there's no gains from another style filter. All that does happen is they get mucky and let dirt pass into the charger.

We're soon to be bringing out a paper cone filter induction kit but still looking for the ideal filter :)

Matt, I did some comparisons on Surrey Rolling Road a few years ago, and showed that the paper filter was actually working better than a K&N panel filter at the top end;

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=36539&page=5

I also did a run with and without the snorkel, and as expected when it was in it robbed airflow at the top end. Once final experiment was a run without an air filter at all (that was a scary run), and as I recall it was similar to the paper filter (can try and dig out the original graphs if you're interested). My experience, paper filter for a G60 even a modified one - mines just over 250bhp now and still on a standard paper filter.

Jezzag60 with his monster 16V G60 did some comparisons as well and showed increases for the SWG twin intake system, and twin cone system but obviously a very different beast to standard G60 there.

Thanks guys, very helpful and has saved me wasting my money on something which effectively wont help. Will stick with standard filter :-)