Bast

Help with wheels

Chaps (and chapesses) I'm currently looking at some early 90's alloys that are 16 x 8 with an offset of 40 for my vr6

The pcd is annoyingly 112 x 5, so would either need re-drilling or some adapters fitting. What I'm stuck with is, if I go adapters, is the safest I can go down to 20mm thick? This would then presumably increase chances of rubbing on the arches at the front? Although I guess its possible to remove some of the material from the back of the alloy to increase the offset?

Or alternatively, go with a re-drill, but then I guess there's a good chance the wheels would end up catching the coils?

Also if I were to get them re-drilled, would they need to be welded up first or would they be okay with 2 sets of holes.

Sorry if this sounds like a lot of thinking out loud, could just do with other peoples experience on this one :D

with 20mm adapters the new offset will effectively be "20" with an 8J rim, when you space you subtract from the original offset of the wheel.

From experience i know that an 8J fits on a VR6 with an offset of 35 but the fronts had to be spaced 20mm to clear brakes.

It's trial and error unless someone else has used the same sized wheel as you.

hope this helps somewhat.

Jamie

I believe the minimum is 15mm see G23 engineering. Re-drilling obviously depending what the back of the wheels are like and if there is room to do another set of holes they may have to be welded and obviously the size of the brakes you have have to be taken into account also you may have to use more than the minimum to clear the brakes.What wheel's are you looking at?

How about re-drilling hubs and discs. Sounds worse that it is and gives you the flexibility to run 5x100 and 5x112 wheels.

Re-drilling wheels isn't something id recommend after having issues doing it myself.

Adapters is a solution but it's really down to trial and error with tyres being key also.

From experience i know that an 8J fits on a VR6 with an offset of 35 but the fronts had to be spaced 20mm to clear brakes.

Jamie

So with the spacers was the final offset actually 15? Or was it 35 after putting the spacers on. Also by chance any pics of that setup?

I believe the minimum is 15mm see G23 engineering. Re-drilling obviously depending what the back of the wheels are like and if there is room to do another set of holes they may have to be welded and obviously the size of the brakes you have have to be taken into account also you may have to use more than the minimum to clear the brakes.What wheel's are you looking at?

Ideally I'd rather go with adapters, just don't want to risk rubbing and after spending the past year getting hold of some wings, would rather not roll them :D. The wheels are flat backed and look to have enough room for another set of holes, but I'd rather go with a none permanent solution. Might have to give g23 a shout, just can't see how 15mm is safe, but then I'm no engineer :D

How about re-drilling hubs and discs. Sounds worse that it is and gives you the flexibility to run 5x100 and 5x112 wheels.

Re-drilling wheels isn't something id recommend after having issues doing it myself.

Adapters is a solution but it's really down to trial and error with tyres being key also.

I have thought about re-drilling the hubs, but thought it'd be even more work. Out of curiosity, what issues did you run into?

Cheer for the replies by the way guys :)

T

So with the spacers was the final offset actually 15? Or was it 35 after putting the spacers on. Also by chance any pics of that setup?

Ideally I'd rather go with adapters, just don't want to risk rubbing and after spending the past year getting hold of some wings, would rather not roll them :D. The wheels are flat backed and look to have enough room for another set of holes, but I'd rather go with a none permanent solution. Might have to give g23 a shout, just can't see how 15mm is safe, but then I'm no engineer :D

I have thought about re-drilling the hubs, but thought it'd be even more work. Out of curiosity, what issues did you run into?

Cheer for the replies by the way guys :)

Yeah the final offset was 15.

Only decent pictures I have are attached

9upera9y.jpg

anu7y9um.jpg

I only had spacers on the front.

Thats excellent, cheers. Fair bit of poke going on there :D ever have any trouble with it?

Minor rubbing on the arches when I hit a large pot hole or big speed bump.

Nothing major, I'd say perfect fit

Would the redrilled holes be visible?

If not then I would do that and stick some 10mm hubcentric spacers on to get back to ET30. That way your still bolted directly to the hub and the wheels in essence are still the same. It sounds like there is space between the 5x112 bolt holes and there is no issue with double drilled wheels.

They wouldn't be visible no as they'd be covered by centre caps. Good to know there's no issue with double drilled wheels as well.

Think I'm just gonna have to buy them and see what sort of distances I've got to play with at either side of the wheel. But if I can get away with an 8inch wheel with 30 offset without much in terms of poke, that'd be cool :)

Cheers again all