Skintoss

Its last chance saloon

This may be in the wrong section but i couldnt see one for electrics so pls move if thats the case.

so to catch you up, i rescued a vr6 from a depressing rust filled end and progress has been good so far with getting it running, fully rebuilt brakes and only the heater matrix to do, I went at it today. Unfortunately I must have snagged a wire whilst putting the dash back and upon starting we had wafts of smoke. Battery was disconnected straight away and ive located the wire affected but cant tell where it goes or quite how I caught it. Ive basically wasted a complete day on it and its now worse than it was before. The wire in question is behind the clocks and its a black wire in a sleeve with a brown earth it heads off under the sound proofing one end towards the engine and somewhere around the back of the fuse box the other but I couldnt trace it. Does anybody know where this wire goes?

The way I feel now, its heading towards being broken, the only thing thats stopping me is the thought of taking the engine out!

If I can get this fixed it may live to see another day so any help would be appreciated.

If no joy look out for the for sale/whats it worth thread

Thanks

I've had a look at the wiring schematics and I think the most likely possibility is the black wire feed the coilpack with ignition voltage,

As all other black wires are fused,

Disconnect the ECU and start by checking the resistance between the burnt out black wire and the chassis,

Tell us what reading you get.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply J.C. I went back at it with a level head today after thinking about what I could have done to cause it. Turns out it wasnt really me at fault the wires were for the heated washer jets and had previously been damaged down by the ecu which is also where one of the nuts for the dash is. I must have disturbed it when undoing the nut and it shorted. Ive now had the dash back out and replaced the wires on question. Also spent some time tidying the wiring up as all the original foam had disintegrated so the wires were all over the place. Much happier now and can carry on with the original plan. Thanks again

Well done for sticking with it, sometimes you just have to walk away and come back another day.

When I get frustrated with the car, I go and read some corrado build threads to get motivated again. :-)