leon263

Wheel whores ............... spot these wheels.

P3110006.jpg

P3110005.jpg

Most of the information you need is in the close up photo.

BBS JILs .... 5 x 100 .... 16 x6.5 ..... forged ..... et55

The missing link is the dead giveaway .... centre bore .... 56.1mm

I saw these advertised on the local Gumtree yesterday at £200 complete with tyres and was intrigued by the 5x100 and the et55. I rang the guy who was selling them and all he could tell me was that the were BBS and he'd had them on his MK4 Golf 20v. Quite how he got them on and what they looked like was another matter but I decided to have a look as they were only 15 miles away.

Prior to viewing, I did a bit of research on Google and eventually found a 2006 post on E38 relating to the exact same wheels. Apparently they were a Japanese market only wheel made by BBS specifically for Subaru. I'd guess they found their way to the UK on a Jap import Scooby.

I viewed them last night and they are in amazingly good condition with only a slight milkyness under the lacquer on the lips. No kerb rash, dents or flat spots, so after a quick haggle I got them for £150.

Current plans are to remove the lacquer from the lips, polish the lips, soda blast the faces and backs, paint and lacquer them and maybe some new badges. Fitment will obviously require 20 or 25mm hub centric spacers. As for the centre bore problem, I can either get them machined out to 57.1 or get the outer bosses on the spacers turned down to 56.1 which could open up the Subaru market should I decide to sell at some time in the future. Apparently the seller had them on his MK4 Golf with multiple, universal, non hub centric spacers and long bolts ............. scary!

I'll post up some photos of them on the car when they are finished.

As for weight ......... A 16 inch BBS complete with 215.45 tyre comes in at 14.2 KG, whereas a standard Speedline with a 205.50 tyre comes in at 17.4kg.

Edited by leon263

They are uber light as well as they are forged. Its only 1mm difference so easy enough to get them turned or as you say get spacers with specific centrebores. Its just a pity they are not wider.

Good buy going by your other handiwork regarding prepping/painting these should look really good when your finished :salute:

I've got a set of these that I had painted metallic black, with 20mm spacers in my garage. If any one wants them, make me an offer. They also have tyres on them, 205/45/16

I've been close to buying some of these quite a few times, but just can't get on with how much the centre of the wheel sticks out, it's pretty much level with the rim isn't it? Be interesting to see them on a rado though :thumbleft:

Yeah, I know what you mean, but at the price I thought I give them a go. They were really bought for my VR6 Mk3 Golf Cabby project but, if they look good, the Corrado is an option.

Na, you're absolutely right. Cracking price for a lightweight wheel :)

Think you should just chuck them on your corrado even if it's just for a pic :D