Sign in to follow this  
raddo_g60

Newbie just bought a G60 and has some questions PLEASE HELP!

Hi guys

I have finally bought a g60 but have some queries and a few niggles to sort out. Your help would be very much appreciated.

1: How does one work the passenger side mirror? Mine are electric and the control on the drivers door says L and R on it. No matter what I do I can only electronically control the drivers mirror. I can hear the passenger one trying to work occasionally. but doesnt...is this a hard job to fix!? :(

2: When I switch on my sidelights the part of the switch with LED goes green (i think) but when i push it again to turn dips on, I dont get any colour in the led, and I dont think anything on the dash (clock area) indicates that they are on either. What should come on?

3: This is my main concern and annoyance! When I am driving along and trun the steering wheel say half a turn left or right at a certain point it will give a little click, and then do it again when centralised back. Its a kind of click you get as if the indicator was clicking back to reset itself having made the turn. it does this without touching the indicators though and keeps doign these slight clicks. very annoying! Any ideas?

4: My handbrake gets in the way when i change gear! Seriously! Is this a feature of corrados in that you do catch the handbrake when changing gear, or is my handbrake to high or my gear knob too low!? My gear knob has been changed to an aftermarket smaller one so dont know if this is the problem.

5: My horn doesnt work! The owner when he sold it too me said it was a spring clip that needed putting back in somewhere..any ideas?

6: I tried to test my boost reding using the guide posted on this forum I managed to search for, but I cant get it to give a reading anything like what numbers I should be seeing. Cant make any sense of it. Its a later spec g60 with digital milometer reading. please help! Would love to know what boost i am running.

Any help with this much appreciated guys. Love this forum. so nice and helpful, just searching for the above probs brings no joy :(

Regards

x

1., pop the mirror glass off and check outthe machism, it might just need a good old WD40 squirt.

2. the switch should go orange, the bulb inside it has gone.

3. could be a problem with the stalks. whip the sterring wheel off and see what you can see. stalks are the same os golf one, so cheap to replace,

4, you're gearknob has probably been cut down. and yes, it sounds like your handbrake comes up too high too. 3 clicks shold be the most it'll move.

5. you should be able to fix the horn when you take the wheel off to do the stalks. check for an earth and a live and that the butin actually operates and makes a circuit. check the fuses also.

6. o idea, I haven't got a g60!

Wow thankyou phatvr6 for your quick reply! 8)

How do i replace the the light switch led? How do I take the mirror off exactly? I dont have a haynes yet :roll: just lever it out at side? Dont want to crack it. What should I look for if doesnt work after wd40?

As regards the stalks. thanks for that advice. Perhaps I will take the steering wheel off and have a little look. not sure what I should be lookign for mind.

4: Can I do anything about the handbrake cable? Ill put a "higher" / longer gearknob on then perhaps.

5: Ok thanks for this.

6: Yours sounds plenty good enough though doesnt it!

not sure on the switch, i don't know if it's sbuld or an LED in ther I've never had one to bits, but it should definitely light up a different colour when you switch to main beam.

Take the hweel and satlks off ans see if any borken bits of plastic fall out. is it a factory wheel or aftermarket?

Hanbrake might need new cables, new pads ore discs or just adjusting you'lhave to look into it.

ok. Thankyou The steering wheel is standard I think. I actually really like it as it is. Will have a look at everything asap phatvr6. Thanks very much.

Now for help with reading my boost and mirror...hmm

4: My handbrake gets in the way when i change gear! Seriously! Is this a feature of corrados in that you do catch the handbrake when changing gear, or is my handbrake to high or my gear knob too low!? My gear knob has been changed to an aftermarket smaller one so dont know if this is the problem.

4, you're gearknob has probably been cut down. and yes, it sounds like your handbrake comes up too high too. 3 clicks shold be the most it'll move.

The handbrake should not get in the way at all. I am reading this as when the vehicle is moving, (ie handbrake down all the way). It should sit flat with the gear lever surround, and there is a dip under the handle so you can raise it.

Maybe your handbrake isn't going all the way down for some reason?

See picture below, this handle is UP, should be a good 3-4 inches lower when down.

I hope VR6 doesn't mind me using his pic.

I've got an early G60 and on the main light switch the LED only comes on with side lights - it goes out when main/dipped selected. No other indication on the dash that dipped have been selected. Blue LED for main. It is not a fault.

If you have the standard steering wheel on when you pull off the plastic centre horn button you see a metal part. There should be a cable connected to it with a female spade connector this might have come off.

Also for the clicking sound when rotating the wheel, try a little bit of grease on the base of the steering wheel. This will involve taking it off though. A small spot of WD40 might work without removing the wheel. If it does, definately needs a spot of grease. 24mm socket IIRC to remove the steering wheel

yup, the G60 has 2 bulbs in the lights switch...

1) When the ignition is turned on, the light symbol should light up so that you can see it when it's dark inside the car.

2) when on sidelights, the center indication should light up Green to let you know you've got your sidelights on...

When you are on dipped, the illumination in the clocks will be on to let you know you've got your lights on, but BOTH lights in the switch will be off...

Oh, and they aren't LEDs, they are wire ended bulbs which are an utter sod to replace... :roll: :evil:

I've got an early G60 and on the main light switch the LED only comes on with side lights - it goes out when main/dipped selected. No other indication on the dash that dipped have been selected. Blue LED for main. It is not a fault.

If you have the standard steering wheel on when you pull off the plastic centre horn button you see a metal part. There should be a cable connected to it with a female spade connector this might have come off.

Also for the clicking sound when rotating the wheel, try a little bit of grease on the base of the steering wheel. This will involve taking it off though. A small spot of WD40 might work without removing the wheel. If it does, definately needs a spot of grease. 24mm socket IIRC to remove the steering wheel

Thanks very much that man very helpful! :D

yup, the G60 has 2 bulbs in the lights switch...

1) When the ignition is turned on, the light symbol should light up so that you can see it when it's dark inside the car.

2) when on sidelights, the center indication should light up Green to let you know you've got your sidelights on...

When you are on dipped, the illumination in the clocks will be on to let you know you've got your lights on, but BOTH lights in the switch will be off...

Oh, and they aren't LEDs, they are wire ended bulbs which are an utter sod to replace... :roll: :evil:

Hi henny, im a little confused by the above... do you mean that

1) When one turns the ignition to just before ready to flick to turn engine an LED/light symbol should alight within the clock area of the dash to indicate the lights are on period? Or sidelights? Or dipped?

2)The light switch itself lights up green you mean? Only on sidelights?

Sorry I think im saying can you rewrite the above :oops: im sorry to sound pedantic but I genuinely dont get what you mean....more likely to be me i feel! Thanks for your help tho

See picture below, this handle is UP, should be a good 3-4 inches lower when down.

I hope VR6 doesn't mind me using his pic.

Help yourself mate :)

Hi henny, im a little confused by the above... do you mean that

1) When one turns the ignition to just before ready to flick to turn engine an LED/light symbol should alight within the clock area of the dash to indicate the lights are on period? Or sidelights? Or dipped?

2)The light switch itself lights up green you mean? Only on sidelights?

Sorry I think im saying can you rewrite the above :oops: im sorry to sound pedantic but I genuinely dont get what you mean....more likely to be me i feel! Thanks for your help tho

No problems... 8)

When you first get into the car, the switch will have no lights in it lit at all...

When you start the engine (ie turn on the ignition) the little white light symbol on the switch will light up so that when it's dark you can see where the switch is to turn it on... 8)

Then, if you turn on your sidelights, the middle bit of the light switch lights up green, and all of the other switches and dash lamps will turn on... the brightness of the rest of the dash can be altered by the thumbwheel built into the light switch, but the green light in the light switch will not change brightness... I'm not sure if the little light symbol on the light switch stays lit in this setting, as I've never checked... :?

If you then turn on your main lights (second click on the switch) BOTH bulbs in the switch will turn off, but the rest of the illumination on the dash will stay lit up...

Hope this answers your question... 8)