Portent

Pro-active engine refurbishment/rebuild - costs at a garage?

Never heard of a VR6 oil pump going.

Yeah the only difference between the 2.8 and 2.9 is the intake and throttle pretty much. The 2.9 has a higher rev limit as well. I've read about UK 2.8 and 2.9 cams being different but I've never seen anything conclusive on that.

during the work at stealth my oil pump was found to be suspect & failing. oil pressure was at 9 bar when cold!!! fortunately it was in good hands at stealth when diagnosed lol

Am in similar situation now. Original engine head gasket went at about 200k. So bought another engine from the forum and swapped then over. Striped the head of that engine with intention of having it rebuilt.

But just bought that other new head from the forum.

As I already have the gasket kit and some arp studs I might just stick the new head on the current engine with all new timing gear and standard cams. Engine has schimmels at the moment so will sell them on to pay for some timing bits.

I also plan to fit some refurbished injectors. Although have an ultra sonic cleaner so might do that myself. Also planning to have oil filter housing, cam cover, aux bracket blasted.

Debating a new power steering pump. Already have a new alternator.

£3000 is a lot of money really. More than my car is worth. Ive just been buying bits when they pop up so seems less expensive.

What do people think about a new oil pump? Ever heard of them failing?

Hi Jim

I have just updated my build thread in members gallery & one of the issues i experienced was due to the oil pump.

having already had the head rebuild etc I found my engine was loosing oil.......my oil pressure was tested & found to be 9 bar whilst cold & ended up causing a leak out of the new head gasket & another leak by the core plug.

fortunately vince was very good to me as we were in the middle of tacking gremlins & i only had to pay for parts.

One thing i did learn from the past few months is that once you get past a certain point of rebuilding / refreshing old parts for new then you really need to think of absolutely everything as if you were carrying out a full rebuild.

i thought i had considered everything but ended up spending much more than expected due to gremlins & issues

a good example being...........having took the car back to stealth to tighten & check all new cooling hoses & clips......the ends of my heater matrix collapse & results in the dash having to come out to have a matrix fitted

by all means drop me a PM if you have any questions as i didnt want to put all of the intricate detail in my build post