DPS

Automatic stalled? Will diagnostics tell me why?

I have a 1994 VR6 Automatic 73,000 miles

When I first had the car it ran fine for a while then suddenly cut out when entering a roundabout. This was followed by some erratic gear changes. It turned out to be caused by the air box (BMC-CDA) coming "unplugged"

Since then it's been fine. I had it serviced last week and it was running beautifully. Then as I turned right at a junction it cut out again the other day :( the car restarted right away (a real pain to do it in a hurry in an auto) and it again ran fine. I checked the connectors and drove the 20 miles home (lots of roundabouts and right-turns) with no problem.

My first suspicion is fuel it has just under half a tank and had a new fuel filter as part of its service.

Other than that it has an ABS fault. Pre-service is had an intermittent fault when going over big speed humps but the service found one of the brakes binding and they resolved this hh giving it a damn good clean. I'm wondering if they damaged an already faulty sensor. It was next on my list to sort but my new concern is the cut-out. If I get the ECU diagnosed would it record the reason for the stall? As well as the ABS fault.

I'm taking it out later when the roads are quiet, I'll fill her tank up and see how she goes. I'm down to one car until Thursday but I'm sure some franchises offering diagnostics will be open Monday... Bloody car...

Worth running the diags yes and an ABS fault wouldn't cause it... Stealth would be the place to go!

Could be lots of things but an air leak or fault with the TPS but ISV or MAF most likely.

If you have an original airbox I would go back to that, maybe the MAF isn't reading airflow correctly from the BMC.

PS - could also be a poor tank of fuel, take it you use at least 98RON?

Worth running the diags yes and an ABS fault wouldn't cause it... Stealth would be the place to go!

Could be lots of things but an air leak or fault with the TPS but ISV or MAF most likely.

If you have an original airbox I would go back to that, maybe the MAF isn't reading airflow correctly from the BMC.

PS - could also be a poor tank of fuel, take it you use at least 98RON?

Yes only the high octane stuff in my tank ;)

I don't have the original box, apart from parking sensors and stereo, it's the only thing that's been modified.

I'll check out who's open BH Monday and take her then. I probably should have done it today but I got a bit carried away cleaning the engine bay and underside of the bonnet. The sun was shining and suddenly it was 5pm before I knew it:o. Thanks for the response :)

Okay, I'm not counting my chickens just yet, but, I have a feeling the only thing needing diagnostics is me!

When the car stalled the other day, I did for second think I'd actually knocked the car out of 'D'.

Well, I just took it out to get fuel and as I was about to head onto the local bypass I went to change gear. In the absence of a clutch I slammed my foot on the brake :bonk: I thought the car had stalled again then realised what I'd done! The two days my car was in the mechanics being serviced I drove my friends manual and as a result I think I've gone into manual mode and this is possibly what happened the other day...

Slamming on the brakes has also cleared the ABS light (for now).

I love this car so much but it's turning me into a paranoid embarrassing idiot :o :D

Edited by DPS
Spelling