Sign in to follow this  
ghee60

Vr6 Rad on G60

Right how easy is it to bodge a Vr6 rad and win fans onto a G60? I understand the plus are different or something similar, would it be possible to fit the Vr Rad and Fans onto a G60 with some playing around

the rad slots straight in but you might have little difficulty with the drivers side top mount on the slame panel.

i am using the VR rad on my G60 but with the standard fan (at the mo), if you do this you have to make some brackets to mount the drivers side of the fan to the radiator. but i ve just bought twin pacet fans so i ll see how i get on with them.

if you decide to use the old fan and my new fans go well your welcome to have the brackets i made up

not sure if theres enough clearance for the twin VR fans :?: .

the plugs are different on the fan motors but it be easy to make something up.

the VR rad might draw more current especailly if its the air-con type, if this was the case it would be easy to wire up a set of relays so the thermostat switches a fused supply straight from the battery.

has anyone used the twin vr fans on a g60?

scruffydubbers, have you got your's running properly yet? Reason I ask is that I'm now using a Golf G60 intercooler in front of a NEW VAG G60 rad with a 12" pacet fan, a 19row Mocal oil cooler where the old intercooler was and my water temps rarely go over 90 and oil barely touches 105... :?

Just wondering what sorta temps you are running with the VR rad on a G60, and if it's a little bit of overkill? :?

Oh, and I now have mine relayed after discovering that the fan was only getting 8v! :o

yer its running well, thanks to ur advice 8)

but not sure of the temp because have nt got my clocks yet, the old 16v ones are in to get it working but not everything is working on them.

i ve got the vr rad with twin 8" pacet fans which come this moring so have nt fitted them yet.

and a 13 row oil cooler.

and the 16v rad as a charge cooler rad, bit of a squeeze in there but all fits quite neat.

standard thermostat and fan switch

i ve a friend who had the screw charger on a standard g60 and it was running really hot and heating up from cold in no time at all, so thought i would make sure i ve got a good cooling set-up.

i was running it yesterday and the fan was coming on when left idling for a few minutes

maybe the the screw chargers heat the oil up a lot more :?: they have one oil feed and two returns with bigger lines than a g-lader.

maybe i have overkilled the cooling side of things :| , once i get my clocks i ll have a look what the temps are like.

one of the reasons i went for the pacet fans is because there more compact and neater than the standard set-up.

yeah, I couldn't fit the original fan cowling in my engine bay due to the take off for the mocal oil cooler and the intercooler causing the rad to sit slightly further back at the top, so I got a pacet fan too 8)

If the fan's running at least you know you aren't gonna overheat it, which is good... I was just wondering what sorta temps you were running is all... 8)

I have and have been running VR6 rad on my car and feck me does it make a difference

Many a time on motor way temps would come down to 70-75 and around london 90-100

Even thrashing the crap out of it in summer and in traffic i couldnt get the water temp over 105 and the oil about 110

I also do have a 13row mocal cooler

As for the fans I have two sets that plugs straight into the 3 pin wire looming of a g60, 16v or 8v one is the phatter fans and the other is the thin ones like the ones found on VR6's

Ive gone for the thin ones as the phat ones will not clear my charger :( but lets see what temps it runs when I start it :)

At the moment ive got a golf turbo diesel rad and 2 1800 vauxhall astra fans bodged on, it was all working nicely and water temp was constantly very low, just look absolutly carp, wanting to replace it all with new hence whyI was thinking of the vr6, If not ill look into using a vauxhall omega v6 rad as that has quite compact fan units attached to the back of it

henny - i have nt got the water temp working yet (the guy that sold me my clocks sniped the loom in half so not everything is working yet)

but the oil temp is working, it sits about 110 on motorways and the highest it went upto was 126 in traffic altho it has only done this once.

the car get up to about 90 in about 5 mins of driving :o ,

hoping to get the clocks working probly this week so i ll se what the water temp is like

water temps tend to be about 10 degrees lower than oil runnign temps

thats what ive foudn with my car

yup, about the same here too... 8)