Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Dashboard electrics

Just had the heater matrix replaced, so the dash was removed. Minor gremlins now in the electrics; occasionally the ABS warning light didn't go off, accompanied by failure of the heater blower and wipers. Switch on the headlights, and, Hey Presto!, it all works again, no recurrence so far. Is there a feed to these circuits from the headlight switch?

I have now noticed that, if the headlights and the heater blower are on together, the heater blower stays on after turning off the ignition until the light are turned off - is this right? I don't remember this happening before, but I may be mistaken.

Finally, the pilot light in the HRW switch has failed although the HRW and mirrors do heat up- is it a simple job to get the switch out of the dash ?(1994 VR6, push on, push off type switch, about 2cm square).

All advice appreciated.

R

it's worth re-seating all of the relays above the fuses in the fuse box and ensuring that all of the multiplugs on the back of the fuse box are all clipped in properly... removing the dash is a fairly major job and will involve snagging at least a couple of wires if it's not your own car and you're being overly cautious about it... ;)

If the people who did the matrix for you have caught a couple of wires during the work, it's very possible they've pulled the multi-plugs on the back of the fusebox out enough to cause all sorts off weird problems... :roll:

Dunno about the HRW switch, I've only owned early style dashes... :?