Reece3000

Starting issues had a loud bang!

Hi guys still new to the forum haven't posted much up as I haven't done much to the corrado yet,

So the other day I disconnected the battery to change the dizzy cap an rotor as they looked a bit old an my plan is to work my way through sorting changing and replacing bits.

When I went to put the battery back on the alarm woke up and immobiliser done it's thing and wouldn't let me start, so I had a guy come and sort that out an take the alarm out completely but as I was turning the key for him so he could work out whatever wires he needed to cut something went bang as the engine turned over, now I've checked the leads an I'm sure actually pretty certain there in the right order but I could be wrong,

So could this be ignition coil or starter motor or something else? An if so how would I check these things.

I'm no mechanic but I do give things a good go, but I'm thinking this may be out of my depth

Any help you guys could give would be great oh and it's a 2.0l 16v

Reece

Edited by Reece3000

Im sure iv heard of one of the breathers being blocked up on here a few times and when they get blocked they pop / bang , i could be wront but its worth looking , im sure its the breather just behind the manifold its a black box thing about the dize of a 20 deck of fags

Are your camshafts still rotating? (Is the timing belt still in place is what I mean).

Or, as said above, it could be a flame trap on the breather system near to the idle stabilisation valve - certainly on VR6 engines they have a tendency to go bang.

Best wishes

RB

Ok I'll have a look at these bits tonight I take it if it's flame trap will it be obvious, an yer the timing belt is still in place, thanks guys

Right so I've tested for spark an there isn't one coming from the ignition coil so I went to change that, an got one from europarts, but I got given a square one so took it back said it's not right they didn't believe me so I just got my money back went to gsf really helpful they found the cylinder shaped one but the one I'm replacing is an odd shape not a cube or a cylinder, my corrados a 95 valver should it have the cylinder shaped one? I'll post up a picture of the one in mine at the moment