Sign in to follow this  
pellzzr

Stealth 2.0ltr conversion

Has anyone got any experience of this conversion ?, wondering your views on it , if you consider it a job well worth it or is better to look at the 16v conversion offered by Bahn Brenner m/sport.

Anyone got an idea at the costs of the 2.0 ltr conversion, could not get hold of stealth today.

Whats your views / thoughts

Cheers

2.0 conversion to what?!?

If you're on about the 2.0 G60, Stealth don't do it anymore... :( (I know, I tried hard to get Vince to build me one! ;) )

A few fellows that i know over here in the US use the ABA block as a 2l bottom end. everything bolts right up. Its pretty much the same long block as the ABF iirc with different pistons. The earlier ABA's have a forged crank and oil squirters to cool the bottoms of the pistons as well. It was a motor developed for the north american market that came in pretty much every 4 cyl mk3 over here. The only exception is the canadians that got the 1.8l engine in the CL trimline and the 1.9 TDI's that came in passats and ventos. Sourcing the pistons wouldnt be a problem as they are a dime a dozen over here. I'm not sure what the c/r that the stock ABF pistons would yield with the G-60 head, but that could be an option as well if the c/r wasnt too high..

the only problem with using the long block option to get it to 2.0 is that it's not particularly suitable to a G60 style engine... :|

IMHO, the characteristics of the type of engine are all wrong, so it ends up feeling like you are rushing the engine all the time and it just never feels right

TSR's 2.0 conversion uses the van engine as the base for the block, which is also the longer stroke style engine... Have a look in the first couple of pages of my gallery, there's quite a good discussion in there about 2.0 G60's after I decided I was gonna build one... In the end I ended up with 1940cc, as the 2.0 test unit had a fault so JMR wasn't prepared to release an untested engine to the public (ie ME! ;) :lol: ) I'm well happy with the 1940, it's smooth, refined, revvy and torquey as hell.... It's also based around the original PG block (well, mine's not 'cos my block was knackered, but they normally are! ;) ) and hey, what's 26ccs when you think about it?!? ;) :lol:

Click on the J-DUB below to get into the gallery... 8)