Jim

Recommended supplier - SAC in Coventry (starter motors, alternators, aircon..)

My alternator decided to give up the ghost last week. Faced with another gigantic bill for a replacement one from VW I decided to seek out alternatives and knew that Tempest had good success with SAC in Coventry getting a few alternators rebuilt.

I've just picked it up today and assuming it actually works correctly, I couldn't fault any aspect of their service. If they have the parts on the shelf, they do a same day turn around (!) on a rebuild. I dropped it off Friday lunch time and got a call mid afternoon to say they couldn't do it same day as they were waiting on some parts. No problem there - was good to get an update. Got a call this morning though to say it was all sorted so just been to pick it up.

* Looks absolutely brand new - media blasted casing, all new bolts / fixings on everything.

* Regular phone calls to keep me up to date, and guy was always friendly and polite on the phone (counts for a lot!)

* 12 month warranty!

* Cost under £100...

Really well worth a look if your alternator packs up! Their website is here:

http://www.sacweb.co.uk/

(I'm not getting some kind of kickback for this - I just like to recommend companies that give me good service!) :)

Think they'll do mail order (I noticed a bunch of eBay invoices on their desk, meaning I assume they do sell their services on eBay) which is why I mentioned them :)

What sort of alternator was it, i start wondering if i got fed a bit of codswhallop when i took mine to a place.

Sounds good Jim and something id like to do..

Any chance of a picture of the finished item and what have they done to it?

Will try remember to grab a picture tomorrow as I've just put it all back together and locked up the garage for the evening. But honestly it looks brand new. As far as I understand it's basically completely new guts in the existing casing - all the coil / wiring inside looks brand new, shot blasted / re-painted casing, new electronics on the back of the alternator, and all new bolts / fixings. Honestly looks completely brand new.

A new one from VW is north of 300 quid so well worth it…

Id like mine done from a vanity point of view but to have it fully refurbished at the same time would be ideal..

Good job Jim only thing is it make's other bit's look well a little lacking you have started something now :p

I have to admit it has encouraged me a bit to think about making a start on tarting up other bits in the engine bay.. :)

I have to admit it has encouraged me a bit to think about making a start on tarting up other bits in the engine bay.. :)

Go for it Jim I am as much of a learner as you but seeing other's like yourself getting bit's done get's me fired up to get my finger out. you have made good progress up to now "Keep Going" :)