maff

Clock mileage disappearing and clock resets

I've not used the storm for a month now but I bought a new battery yesterday and fired her up and I have been doing a search on the clocks and trip resetting problem.

Also my mileage disappears when I remove the key from the ignition, very wierd?

I've cleaned up the earth under the battery as I had a battery drain problem which I'll find out this week if it's still there and I also have a stupid non vw key which I think has a transponder built into it so I'm thinking something maybe up with the ignition switch?

Also it has had a Clifford alarm which is completely non functional as I have no fobs for it etc so I suspect all of my problems are down to a nightmare of wiring behind the dash:-(

What's my best bet? check all of the fuses or just pay an auto electrician to sort it out for me? but it would be nice to sort it for myself

cheers matt

Mine was doing this and it was a fuse. Can't remember which but think its also the one for the sunroof and interior light...

All fuses look ok, but as for the box relays like fuse 21, how would i check these? It also looks like every things been apart at some stage?

Thanks jim, trying hard to sort these bits and bobs myself but electrics (house and cars for that matter) always end up getting passed onto an expert, i just feel depressed when looking at a big coil of multi coloured wiring and insulation tape:-(

I would change the ignition switch - sounds like the permanent feed and switched feed may be shorted internally. Mine did this for a little while with a different pair of contacts (permanent live to the radio went off with key out) before starting to cut main power while driving instead...!

Easy enough to change with the right tools - best method is to remove the column altogether (grind the heads off the two shear bolts with a Dremel), then remove 2x regular hex-head bolts and one bolt at the base universal joint. Then you can swap the switch at your leisure indoors without having to hang upside-down in the footwell! To remove the small screw holding in the switch, heat a cheap cross-head screwdriver cherry-red and put a 90-degree bend in it approx 1 inch from the end, makes it a lot easier. Reassemble with regular bolts so you don't have to struggle removing the shear bolts again :)

Stone

I would change the ignition switch - sounds like the permanent feed and switched feed may be shorted internally. Mine did this for a little while with a different pair of contacts (permanent live to the radio went off with key out) before starting to cut main power while driving instead...!

Easy enough to change with the right tools - best method is to remove the column altogether (grind the heads off the two shear bolts with a Dremel), then remove 2x regular hex-head bolts and one bolt at the base universal joint. Then you can swap the switch at your leisure indoors without having to hang upside-down in the footwell! To remove the small screw holding in the switch, heat a cheap cross-head screwdriver cherry-red and put a 90-degree bend in it approx 1 inch from the end, makes it a lot easier. Reassemble with regular bolts so you don't have to struggle removing the shear bolts again :)

Stone

Great info stone, thanks.

I do enjoy having a go myself and the last vr I had I managed to do most jobs I thought I would be 'sub contracting' lol. A good friend has his own unit with ramps etc so I do have the luxury when I can find the time. Now I remember reading an ignition switch not being the cheapest thing...

The ignition switch isn't worth taking in to get done - but the problem is it can either be a 30 minute job or several hour job depending on how you get on with removing 'the' screw. It's held in by a single small screw but it's extremely difficult to access. Best thing to do is whip out the front driver seat (which only takes 2 minutes) and then lie on the floor with your head in the footwell looking up at the ignition switch (once you've removed all the cowling) - then you really need a long, thin screwdriver to access it.

Thanks for the info chaps, its the first corrado I've had with an immobiliser in the key though so i wonder if theres something mounted in and around the ignition switch, funny i remember the ignition switch going on my first ever corrado and over the years i think i've either paid for or done every job thats possible!

I'll report back when i've sorted it, thanks again