jamesoff

16v vacuum line replacement

On a drive to the Westcountry this weekend I got pretty bad mileage without driving particularly hard, which was a surprise as previous drives had been about 28-30 MPG. On the way back I made a point of driving more efficiently with little apparent effect, so when I stopped for some food I had a poke at the vacuum lines and found one of the connections to the Y-splitter near the throttle/intake had come apart. I jammed it back together and that fixed things, but it's quite clearly on its last legs - the splitter and the hose are both falling apart/split.

Given that in general my vacuum lines are all a bit old and tired I'd like to replace the lot. A bit of Googling suggest that the G60 at least needs a particular length (1m?) to the ECU, but I can't find confirmation of if this is true for the 16V engine too.

Can anyone confirm if that's true, and also confirm what diameter hose I need? Bonus points for pointing me at something to buy - I'm not desperately attached to it matching the OEM white-host-with-occasional-braiding look.

nothing special needed, but get the material braided hose if you can, it just protects the rubber from heat a bit, you can buy metres of the stuff from VW, motor factors or ebay etc. like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-3-5mm-Vacuum-Hose-Suitable-Beetle-Camper-Golf-T25-T4-Etc-/171312723424?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27e308b5e0