loepan

engine noise/transmission?

ok so sometimes under initial load and when coming off the power, something doesn't sound quite right

after viewing a few threads on here a lot seem to suggest or at least point to engine mounts, is there anything i can do to test this before i pay a garage to investigate? I've tried to rock the engine doesn't seem much movement, also seems less noise but more frequent when power is taken off, would think it would happen if i put my foot down fast/heavy

other things i get, mentioning just incase is:

i get squeaking noise which i think maybe my down pipe hitting the anti roll bar (lowered on springs)

sometimes when selecting reverse i have to double clutch to make sure its home, if not it some times engages with a bang

any ideas or help appreciated

Yep I was getting similar symptoms when my front engine mount was broken Craig - especially the banging into reverse part, although I didn't find out it was a broken engine mount til the inlet manifold smacked the bonnet :( There was no movement at all when I tried rocking the engine. This probably isn't the correct way but it's how I done it. Jack the car up and stick it on axle stands, then stick the jack under the sump and slowly raise it. If it's knackered the engine will lift slightly.

cheers Jamie, i'll give that a go

so with the jack under the sump probably use a piece of wood in between, the engine should not move upwards at all ie no play or am I looking for excessive amounts? thread search for new engine mounts it seems!

Lift the bonnet and get someone to watch the engine. With the handbrake on and the engine running, put it in gear and lift the clutch. You will be able to see the engine lift in the bay if the mounting is shot.