Sign in to follow this  
bazgreener

G60 down on power, crank pulley???

Hi Folks,

out in the G today and got onto the dual carriage way, nailed it in third gear, got to about 4000 rpm and the car seemed to lose loads of power all of a sudden, the car now still runs/idles ok but needs much more throttle to accellerate and is very unresponsive, have checked the plugs and the colour is perfect, still have the same boost showing on my boost gauge,air fuel gauge still shows correct mixture, both throttle butterflies are opening correctly and everything looks fine under the bonnet, i have checked if the crank pulley and it is all tight with no wobbles or running out of line but it feels like the ignition or valve timing has been retarded, could this be the crank pulley that has slipped?

any help appreciated

cheers

Barrie

check the vacuum hoses off the back of the throttle body... I'll bet that one of these has come off or split... :|

how new are your engine/gearbox mounts? Could also be that if they're dead, you've pulled a wire somewhere... :?

Have checked everything i can think of in the engine bay and it all seems ok, car just seems to have lost that instant go it had before :(

Is there anyway of checking if the crank pulley has moved without taking it all off?

Baz

The only way the crank pulley can move is if the bolt is loose (or has been loose) and has damaged the woodruff key which is built into the pulley or the slot in the crank... If you've checked this is tight (and you said you have) then I'd ignore that for now as it's unlikely to be this if it just suddenly went, these tend to wear over time (if the bolt is loose) and vary the timing rather than just suddenly change and stay changed...

check the tension of the cam belt... it's more likely it's jumped a tooth... It's pretty easy to check just using the timing marks on the cam gear and on the flywheel and should show you if it's jumped a tooth or not quickly and simply... 8)

This sounds a little like the problem I am having with my g60 in that its like driving a car with turbo lag until I hit 4000rpm or so. Ive found that im getting a misfire having run the car for a little while when it gets hot.

This sounds a little like the problem I am having with my g60 in that its like driving a car with turbo lag until I hit 4000rpm or so. Ive found that im getting a misfire having run the car for a little while when it gets hot.

That's definately either the blue temp sensor or, more likely, a vacuum leak/damaged pipe between the ECU and the throttle body. This pipe MUST be 100cm long, else the car will run as you describe... ;)

Cheers Henny,

it`s about due for a belt anyway so i may as well do it now and check that is all ok. I just read in pvw mag, in the problem page about g60 crank bolts, awesome say they replace the pulley and bolt when they do a full service now.

Baz

wish I'd have had that advice 12 months ago.... :? :roll: :lol: