Peacedub

Cooling issues

So the fun begins already after owning my new dub for just 2 week! Not bad really,lol.

I decided to treat her to a service and do the odd bit if tinkering. So after the service I decided to change the coolant as it looked a bit murky, not brown but just dirty. I drained the coolant and flushed it out. Nothing sludgy or out of tge ordinary. Topped her up with premixed coolant and noticed it didn't take much to fill? I turned her over to get rid of any air locks. Got up to temp really quick so I left it to settle hoping all air was out and topped up a little more. I left it for a good couple of hours then checked level.. All good. Took her for a spin around 5 mile and the temp was way up over 100 and blowing cold air! More worrying the oil was at 120! Parked up and left it thinking the head gasket was a gonna....but why would it? The other thing I noticed was the heater/fan relay going mental ticking away when the car was off even 1 hour after switching off. I could only think there was a blockage before the pump causing an air lock and messing with thermostat. I checked the reservoir and level was good but while shining the torch down I noticed gold flecks....rad seal! Decided to take no risks and ordered a new radiator,thermostat, water pump and fan switch. Collected today to fit tomorrow but the funny thing is is that she didn't play up at all today. Sat at about 75-80 and oil went no higher than 96? But I sat in a little bit if traffic and it starts to climb again with no sign of the fan kicking in which also reminds me that when the fan was clicking in without the ignition on and then when I put ignition on the fan would cut out. Very strange indeed. I'll update tomorrow after tinker time.

There is a good cooling guide on here for the vr6. Well worth a read as it well tell you how to check your rad fans and cooling stages.

Where did you drain it from? Also best not to mix some coolant types. I'd just stick to the VW stuff or fuchs make a G12++ equivalent one.

Air lock could be likely as well though. Like you say. Are the heaters blowing hot air now?

I always remember my corrado breaking after the first two weeks. Was chasing a bmw z3 in the rain and the wipers broke 20miles from home.

Then it seemed to break something every few weeks for the next 8yrs and counting. :lol:

So just an update. All new bits fitted today (radiator, water pump, thermostat & fan switch) and boy was it a byatch! On the mk2 golf it would have taken me no more than 2 hours start to finish if that! Let's just say it was a little longer! Not sure why, must be the million more bolts to undo than the mk2. Anyway all is looking good. Ran up to temp, fan kicked in at 86. Oil was good. Took it for a short blast and it behaved itself. Water sat around 75 and oil didn't go over 100 so happy with that. Need to look more closely at the fan kicking in after engine stop and whether it's kicking in after half hour stood. The erratic ticking and fan coming on and off has stopped so that's good. While under the car I noticed no oil or water leaks at all and it all looks very clean underneath so I am chuffed at that seeing as it's done nearly 180k! Anybody have any issues with rocker gasket leaks? Seen a couple 2.0 16v now with leaky heads around gasket.

Just curious to know where you picked up your fan switch? I got a pattern part one but it seems to come on far too late (when the coolant is at or near 105-110 centigrade) and I keep meaning to replace it. Did you get a genuine VW one?

Just curious to know where you picked up your fan switch? I got a pattern part one but it seems to come on far too late (when the coolant is at or near 105-110 centigrade) and I keep meaning to replace it. Did you get a genuine VW one?

Have you checked that the first two fan stages are working Jim? On my old green one i didn't get a fan running until 110 deg. After investigation that was because the first two fan stages were dead..

I was going to go for a vw one but decided just to get all from euro car parts. It was only £11 so in case it wasn't that I had not spent a fortune. It will state in the spec on euro (coz there is a few) that it kicks in at 86 degrees (and will be stamped on the switch) which it did and the thermostat is 98 I think. It's all working good now and for the sake of £72 and a few scuffed knuckles for all the above then it was well worth it.

Edited by Peacedub