Dreadyedge

door check strap

The drivers door check strap on my corrado is knackered and clunks every time I open the door, I have managed to get hold of a replacement but was wondering how I get the old one out and the new one fitted anyone know how to do it??

OK so after looking I have got the check strap that goes into the door but it looks like its the bit in the bodywork that the check strap attatches to that is clunking when I open the door :(

Any ideas how I fix this

Hello there,

the only way really to fix it is to replace the whole thing,

i.e the check strap and the connector eye that bolts to the A-pilla.

Some cars have a pin complete with a circlip that fixes the check strap arm to the A-pilla connector eye,

where as the Corrado uses a bolt and nut.

The noise you can here might be where the connector eye on the A-pilla,

where the bolt goes through the hole could have warn in a oval shape,

or the same can happen to the check strap arm again where it attaches to the A-pilla.

Normally a creeking noise is from the spring loaded bearings in the check strap housing,

i.e where the check strap arm slides in and out of.

Here's a video of removing / replacing a door check strap,

it's not from a Corrado but the way you replace the check strap is the same for most cars anyway.

Hope this helps

Si

After looking I think its the bit in the a pillar rather than the actual check strap (sods law as I just brought another check strap)

Not so sure I could really call it a creaking noise as said its more of a clunk....when I open the door it will open about half way then clunks and there is movement in the piece that comes out of the a pillar which the check strap attaches too

I'm not too sure mate to be honest,

your best bet is to try your local VW Dealer,

or try VW Heritage if they can get you the part you might have to purchase a new check strap,

that comes complete with the connector eye that you need.

Or I've seen a few sellers on Ebay that do sell a lot of new parts for the Corrado,

there might be someone who may sell one ?

But like I say if you try your local VW Main Dealer first just in case.

Other then that there are a few people off this forum who are scrapping there spare Corrado,

and are selling all or most parts off it, you could try them as well ?

Si

Edited by vw rule

Cheers I'll see if I can get hold of a new one 1st pretty sure that the vw don't do the actual check straps now if that's the case prob can't get the connector eyes either will check tho,probably best to try and find a new one if possible...thanks for all your help